• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is reholdering a good idea?

19 posts in this topic

I have some old NGC "fatties" and I was wondering what you guys thought about having them reholdered. Is there a market for "fatties?" or would you go ahead and get them reholdered?

Some people think that the NGC "fatties" are more conservatively graded that the coins in the later holders. It is something like the idea collectors have about PCGS "rattle" holders and holders with green labels. To the extent that people think that this is true it might be worth your while to leave the coins where they are. Not all coins in “fatty” holders are more conservatively graded just like not all PCGS in “rattlers” or green labels are conservatively graded.

The advantages to the new NGC holders are the prongs, which let you see the edge, and the improved plastic, which is tougher, more resistant to scratches and clearer, which allows a better view of the coins.

Given these factors, you can decide what you would like to do.

I have several old NGC slabs and there is no way that I would crack them out.

I completely agree. The majority of my certified coins are in NGC no-line holders, and I've been selective, such that I believe mine really are (mostly) conservatively graded.

Nope. It's already in a slab at a "higher" grade than the coin appears to be....

As long as you can see the coin it's current "fatty" holder, I would leave it as is.

The coin is less likely to remain stable if it is re-holdered.

Rightly or wrongly, the coin might be perceived to be conservatively graded in its current holder.

Down the road, many prospective buyers will probably prefer the older holder.

If you leave it in the old holder, you can always change your mind later. But once the coin is re-holdered, you can never go back.

...or maybe you could donate the CAC money to a nice charity, and enjoy your coin the way it is.

...or maybe you could donate the CAC money to a nice charity, and enjoy your coin the way it is.
(thumbs u

How much does re-holdering cost?

Unless it went up, $10 plus shipping and insurance.

I love the old Fatties as well. Another thing about the Fattie holder is that the plastic insert is thinner than the insert used when the line was added. Coins tend to get lost in the line generation pre-prong holders with the thicker insert, especially small thin coins.

I like it much better in the OLDER slabs. I would only consider having it re-graded and not just re-slabbed. But that would only be if it were in extraordinary condition and I was SURE. The price jump would also have to be quite significant to make me want to crack it out. Otherwise, I would leave it be. Especially, if we're just talking about reholdering!

I think that if you look at the next grade up and there is enough of a gain in price then I would re-holder.

I think you meant re-grade and not re-holder. But either way, I wouldn't. If the coin deserves a higher grade, many sophisticated buyers will pay accordingly, as is, in the current/older holder. And if the coin is resubmitted and fails to upgrade, the benefits of the older holder are lost forever.

Welcome to the forum.

I have never reholdered a coin that is in a fatty (no line) holder. This, I must admit, is just my preference. I would state that with my personal coins which are in old holders, some are correctly graded and some are conservatively graded by today's standards. I figure that the coin's condition will sell it or not sell it and I paid that grade's money for it originally.

Personally, I prefer the coins be left in the Fatties. Those old fatties seem to hold up better from a scratching position. I did on the other hand have one regraded because it was clear that the coin now designated cameo * and before was just a proof is worth a heck of a lot more money designated as such than it would have been in the old fatty. I personally own many fatties and will leave them that way even if one or two here and there might be worth more in an upgraded holder.