• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Handling Coins, Sure this topic has been brought up...

14 posts in this topic

I've been collecting coins for my daughter's future for about 5 years now, I don't have a very interesting collection but its a nice collection to say the least, I haven't quite pin pointed what path I want to go, recently decided to stay with low population coins and see what happens... My question is this, Im so afraid of handling the coins with my bare hands, especially proofs and what not, How do you guys or girls do it and keep your nerves in check? For a while I was using cotton gloves but seem to have lost them, is there a specific glove I shouldn't use when handling coins cause of now Im to much of a nervous wreck to handle them with my bare hands on the rims, I still feel Im going to put a print or transfer oils some how,... Any stories tips anything would be appreciated....

Thanks

Nathan

I mostly always use white cotton gloves. If I use my bare hands then always by the edges. I don't fear the coins too much as I know these things have probably been handled by hundreds if not thousands of people already. When it comes to uncirculated and proofs, well all I can say is don't get soo nervous you drop them. Just handle with confidence and you shouldn't have any problems.

Okay didn't know if people used the cotton gloves, or just handled them bare handed, and I realize that a lot of the coins have been handled and mishandled I just didnt want to be the one to add to it :), I was using the gloves when I was taking pictures of coins but kind of slipped away from that, since the recent tornadoes ripped through our area and the power was out for almost a week I busted out her collection and got back in to the hobby which has been nice... I've wanted to take some pictures of some coins I feel were artificially toned and get some advice but have been to afraid to pull them out of the holders.... gonna make a trip to the store and pick up some more cotton gloves now :)

You can get the cotton gloves at JP's Corner. It's cheaper to buy them by the dozen. You can wash them for reuse, but I don't think it would be a good idea to put fabric softener in the wash. I'm not sure about bleach, either. Scroll down to the bottom of this page..........

http://www.jpscorner.com/Cleaning_Supplies.htm#Cotton_Gloves

Some peple like to use the latex gloves, but the only caution I can offer is that you should not use the kind that are powdered to make them easier to slip on.

Chris

I only wear gloves when I am shoveling snow. (Chris wouldn't know about snow, it's merely something he sees on television...)

I wash my hands well and only handle coins by the edges. And I work seated at a desk with a jewelers cloth as a safety net so if I drop the coin it doesn't roll under the furniture with the dust bunnies.

So far, so good. :whistle:

I don't wear gloves but I do wash my hands with Dawn detergent to clean them and remove any oils that I wouldn't want transferred to a coin. Also, I always hold my coins by their edges which is the standard protocol.

I only wear gloves when I am shoveling snow. (Chris wouldn't know about snow, it's merely something he sees on television...)

Not true, but I was smart enough to leave it all behind in 1978. Some people are slow learners. :devil:

Chris

Hey beard, welcome to the pool, gloves optional because graders skinny dip unless they are handling coins from the Smithsonian.

It is perfectly OK with clean hands, don't be eating Doritos and pick up a coin with cheese fingers, to lift a coin up off a protected surface by the edges and then keeping your fingers confined to only the edges.

Course a Morgan is way easier to pick up than say a dime, practice with a circulated piece until you get the hang of it. Also, being young like you are, your fingers are still agile enough to accomplish this with out even thinking. The older you get, your fingers just seem to quit on you at times and it looks like a monkey having a relationship with a football...just ask Chris.

Hey beard, welcome to the pool, gloves optional because graders skinny dip unless they are handling coins from the Smithsonian.

It is perfectly OK with clean hands, don't be eating Doritos and pick up a coin with cheese fingers, to lift a coin up off a protected surface by the edges and then keeping your fingers confined to only the edges.

Course a Morgan is way easier to pick up than say a dime, practice with a circulated piece until you get the hang of it. Also, being young like you are, your fingers are still agile enough to accomplish this with out even thinking. The older you get, your fingers just seem to quit on you at times and it looks like a monkey having a relationship with a football...just ask Chris.

Woody, I'm not going to ask again. What did you do with my bananas?

Chris

I don't wear gloves when handling coins.

That's because the last time he was handling coins while wearing gloves, he got arrested.

Chris