• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You know your a coin nerd or nerdette when you...

53 posts in this topic

? hm

I had a good laugh last night as I was looking at 20+ year old auction catalogs black & white plate photo with a loupe only to discover it was a matrix dot type printed image that fell apart under magnification! doh!(:

Those weren't dot matrix prints, they were coins struck with rusty dies.

:D

Seriously I just wanted to get a closer look at a lamination as the same item is supposed to be coming up at auction this summer.

It's now Brown instead of RB and upon closer examination I was just looking at thousands of dots.

:roflmao:

(:

When you go to the zoo with your kids and you instinctively count the legs on all the buffalos in the pen.

I pulled a toothpick out of a box a year ago, saw one end wasn't whittled to a point and was excited because it was an error toothpick.

I then took a photo.

(:

When you go to the zoo with your kids and you instinctively count the legs on all the buffalos in the pen.

lol

Last time at the Zoo I scored an elongated cent saddle strike error from the kid in front of me.

He didn't have the strength to turn the handle and was upset at his damaged creation.

I made 5 perfect examples for him in trade doh!:eyeroll: (coin nerd slap and eye roll) :makepoint:

I know I posted something similar to this once before.

You know you're a coin nerd when you:

1) Look to see what change was handed to the person ahead of you in the checkout line.

2) Crane your neck to look over the counter when the cashier opens the register.

3) Refuse to leave the checkout line until you have examined all of the coins you received in change.

Here are some more:

4) Pick up a penny in the parking lot and instinctively turn it over to see if it is a wheatie (that is, if you aren't wearing your glasses).

5) Someone comments that they received a half dollar in change, and you instinctively ask, "What year?"

Chris

I can relate to everyone of those Chris!! lol

I would like to add, as I'm a debit/credit card holder, that once in a while I get cash from the bank just so I can spend it somewhere to get coins back to check. lol

? hm

I had a good laugh last night as I was looking at 20+ year old auction catalogs black & white plate photo with a loupe only to discover it was a matrix dot type printed image that fell apart under magnification! doh!(:

I have the '85 auction catalog, and I did the same thing....

:blush:

I would like to add, as I'm a debit/credit card holder, that once in a while I get cash from the bank just so I can spend it somewhere to get coins back to check. lol

How about this one, Bobby...........

You buy a soda for $1.50 from a vending machine and the quarters you receive in change are both silver. So, you go to the bank and get 100 - $1 notes and keep buying sodas until you've run out of money.

Chris

You buy a soda for $1.50 from a vending machine and the quarters you receive in change are both silver. So, you go to the bank and get 100 - $1 notes and keep buying sodas until you've run out of money.

Now that's just too funny! :roflmao:

Chris

And to think that they used to have the generic drinks in those for 35cents.

Some of you need serious help! I know I need help but refuse to share my flaws(features).

:roflmao:

I didn't need any help. I was able to drink all of the sodas by myself.

Chris

... comment on how unrealistic a Civil War period movie is because a character calls a 5-cent coin a "nickel" (first because "nickels" were copper-nickel cents, and second because the only coin worth 5 cents was the half dime). This goes for cowboy movies, also, in which characters in the far west pay for items with nickels supposedly in the late 1860s/ early 1870s. They would have been unusual in that part of the country during that time.

... comment on how unrealistic a Civil War period movie is because a character calls a 5-cent coin a "nickel" (first because "nickels" were copper-nickel cents, and second because the only coin worth 5 cents was the half dime). This goes for cowboy movies, also, in which characters in the far west pay for items with nickels supposedly in the late 1860s/ early 1870s. They would have been unusual in that part of the country during that time.
:applause:

? hm

Your embarrassed?????

I can't tell you how many times I have done this!

Also, when completely involved, looking through the "dino-lite" I will

drag it over to the image only to find a HUGE magnified dot matrix doh!:blush:

I was looking at the Goldberg's Benson Collection catalog the other day;

I think it was about the last B/W catalog.

I wish I had bought a few more of those coins -

especially the 21-S Half in 63. What a beauty !!

... when it's finally a beautiful, sunny day outside and you pull the shades because the sun screws up your coin viewing light.

... when the cashier hands you a silver certificate someone spent and offers to take it back, you ask her to see if there are more in the register. I did that a few years ago and netted three silver certificates.

... when you look in the register and see a coin that is not in regular usage. I also did this and netted a few Ike and SBA dollars.

... when you watch what the person in front of you is using to pay for their items and you offer to trade what they are using for a newer version, like when someone tried to pay with a $5 silver certificate and I handed over a $5 for the note.

... when you carry empty flips in your wallet to place coins found in change to keep them separate from the spending money.

Now, Scott. I draw the line at carrying empty flips in my pocket. I thought that is why they made 5 pocket jeans(you know the ones with the small right hand pocket for coins you wish to keep separate because you find them interesting). That is what they are for, right?

Jim

Now, Scott. I draw the line at carrying empty flips in my pocket. I thought that is why they made 5 pocket jeans(you know the ones with the small right hand pocket for coins you wish to keep separate because you find them interesting). That is what they are for, right?

Jim

Unfortunately, I wear slacks or suits for work. Since I tend to shove papers in my jacket pockets, I need the flips to keep the coins separate. I only carry 2-3 empty flips in my wallet, so it does not add significant bulk.

Scott

Jim

Unfortunately, I wear slacks or suits for work. Since I tend to shove papers in my jacket pockets, I need the flips to keep the coins separate. I only carry 2-3 empty flips in my wallet, so it does not add significant bulk.

Scott

..........but, he does keep an extra stereomicroscope, camera and copy stand in the trunk of his car. :roflmao:

Chris :hi:

Jim

Scott

..........but, he does keep an extra stereomicroscope, camera and copy stand in the trunk of his car. :roflmao:

Chris :hi:

Portables are in my briefcase since I have to worry about access the days I take the Metro downtown!! :baiting:

I only carry 2-3 empty flips in my wallet, so it does not add significant bulk.

Gives a new meaning to the idea of having protection in your wallet.

I only carry 2-3 empty flips in my wallet, so it does not add significant bulk.

Gives a new meaning to the idea of having protection in your wallet.

Especially to someone like PT Barnum!

Chris