• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Favorite Commemorative! Which One is Yours?

29 posts in this topic

Something about this design I enjoy. I probably own too many of these to make sense, but when another comes along I like I've just got to have it. (I'm thinking there are more than just a few members here that share that trait.)

Now, many of these come lackluster and finding them with ultra lustrous surfaces is a real treat. Here are two I picked up! (I also own on in PCGS VG8 and surprisingly, even worn out, the design holds up well.)

ppeacockcoins4-1.jpg

ppeacockcoins28.jpg

The California is one of the best commemorative half dollar designs, but it's not at the top of my list.

I've come to really like the Pan-Pac quarter eagle because of the symbolism. There is Lady Columbia riding a hippocampus with the medical symbol in her hand. It stands for the increased commerce that would result from the completion of the Panama Canal of the triumph of medicine over diseases like yellow fever, malaria and other tropical ailments that prevented attempts to build the canal in the past. The reverse shows the “defiant eagle” which probably reflected the attitudes of the United States prior to World War I.

PanPac250O.jpgPanPac250R.jpg

My favorite silver commemorative is the Antietam. It’s hard to depict on a landscape on a business strike relief coin that is the size of a half dollar, and yet this piece provides an attractive view of Burnside’s Bridge.

AntietamO.jpgAntietamR.jpg

Photos of the original concept for the Pan-Pac quarter eagle/quintuple eagle are in Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915. Some feel this is Charles Barber’s best coin design.

The Antietam is one on my short list. I'm like Pat when it comes to the Oregon Trail (thanks again, Mark!). I'd like to own multiples of it. Fortunately, it comes in many different flavors (dates and mintmarks). Maybe one day, I will get up the nerve to buy some commemorative gold.

Chris

My favorite so far isn't an American coin, but it was minted in honor of America and the UN's combined forces.

HerosofDesertStorm.jpg

But as far as a US commem it would be the one minted for the year that the Bald Eagle had been removed from the endangered species list. To me it's a symbol of the struggle we Americans face on a day to day basis, either to keep our home, keep food on the table, simply to survive in a time of economic hardship.

2008BaldEagleHalfproof.jpg

-Chris#2

Something about this design I enjoy. I probably own too many of these to make sense, but when another comes along I like I've just got to have it. (I'm thinking there are more than just a few members here that share that trait.)

Reminds me of Reggie Jackson who anytime he found one of his rookie cards for sale had to buy it. He had tons of them when his house burned during the Oakland fires.

For me I love the Gettysburg the best. I just like the detail and the history. A close second is the Spanish Trail...which if you look at my logo it is easy to understand why. I own neither one yet.

I like many of the early commems quite a bit, but it always comes back to the Connecticut.

TBR2I1935.jpg

TBR2I1935P64.jpg

TBR2I1935P65.jpg

My favorite (but I don't own one yet) is the 1927 Vermont. I love that cat.

Charles Keck's original "cat" models:

Catamount-sm.jpg

Enjoy.....

History provides a wealth of knowledge to those who travel it's path. :)

Roger wrote a nice piece about these:

14003455_obv.jpg

I don't believe I have a single silver favorite. There are a lot of nice designs. As for gold, I like the Pan-Pac $1.

sh1915pp1.jpg

The Alabama half article is on the PCGS site. (They have exclusive use until next December.)

[Leeg's book upcoming on commemoratives should be a lot of fun to read and really enjoy the "color" and period of the coins.]

The California is a great design and I'll post one I just picked up when it arrives.

Yet I really like Isabella Quarters and here's a unique rim clipped planchet error example.

24o1rag.jpg

Along with the Lafayette Dollar which is another fav :)

2ic7fxw.jpg

Is the Oregon Trail half too easy of a choice? I bought one because I love the design, even though it isn't part of any collection within my collections.

I like Braddick's California Jubilee halves, also, but I'm partial to things Californian (like all the Pan Pac commems, also).

Is the Oregon Trail half too easy of a choice? I bought one because I love the design, even though it isn't part of any collection within my collections.

I like Braddick's California Jubilee halves, also, but I'm partial to things Californian (like all the Pan Pac commems, also).

Dude...you have to make the HARD choices. No fooling around here! How about waxing poetic about the exceedingly beautiful Eunice Shriver commem? Now that takes guts!

jom

I've always liked the $2 1/2 gold Pan. Pac. commem---Ms Liberty riding on the back of a hippocampus while holding a caduceus. A lot of symbolism on that coin in addition to being very artistic.

I guess I have a lot of favorites in this series. Today it is this one. MJ

stonemtcomp.jpg

Dude...you have to make the HARD choices. No fooling around here! How about waxing poetic about the exceedingly beautiful Eunice Shriver commem? Now that takes guts!

jom

That would both take guts AND turn stomachs. :sick:

1848 CAL. quarter eagle, the first and the one I would own if I could afford it, but alas, no chance there.........

Otherwise, love them Oregon's, my home state and lcoopie that is a stunner!