• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any current or former TPG graders out there...

32 posts in this topic

Well, I'm not a grader nor have I ever worked for a TPGS, but you might find this story insightful..............

In 2005, when NGC still allowed non-dealer customers to make appointments to deliver submissions in person, I had a 50+ coin submission which I delivered to NGC. I live less than 100 miles south of Sarasota, so it always made for a pleasant way to spend the morning. Anyway, when it came time to make the trip to pick up the submission, I was really anxious to see the Kennedy that you see below on my sig line. When I checked the inventory, I found that this coin was missing. Several employees began searching for it in the vault, grading room, etc. and after an hour or so, it still hadn't been found. The search continued, and it was finally found in the vault where it had been the entire time. It's just that no one was looking for a copper-colored Kennedy.

Chris

PS. Mark Feld used to work for NGC, so maybe he has some interesting stories (if he feels comfortable telling them).

Cool story cpm9ball. Yup, I was hoping Mr. Feld might have a story or two to add.

...hmmm. if he's got some he might just be putting them into a book as we speak! (thumbs u

I hope I can recall the details fairly accurately and that this isn't one of those "I guess you had to be there" stories, which can't be appreciated, otherwise.

While I was still grading at NGC, many years ago......

One day, John Albanese (one of the owners at that time) told each of us in the grading room that he would be having minor surgery the next day. He apparently had a small, benign growth on his chest that he was having removed. He was going to miss a day of work.

The next day, he called and he said he'd had the surgery, had some stitches he needed to be careful of and was in a bit of pain, but was going to come into the office anyway.

He arrived, seemed a bit under the weather, but began grading, etc.

A little bit later, he started making some noise and said that he was bleeding and that he was afraid that his stitches had come out. We went over to him to check on him and his shirt had blood all over it - it was a scary sight! We said he needed to get to the doctor ASAP, etc.

And then, he opened his shirt and showed us the steak that he had underneath, taped to his chest and which was the source of all of the blood. :D

I hope I can recall the details fairly accurately and that this isn't one of those "I guess you had to be there" stories, which can't be appreciated, otherwise.

One day, John Albanese (one of the owners at that time) told each of us in the grading room that he would be having minor surgery the next day. He apparently had a small, benign growth on his chest that he was having removed. He was going to miss a day of work.

The next day, he called and he said he'd had the surgery, had some stitches he needed to be careful of and was in a bit of pain, but was going to come into the office anyway.

A little bit later, he started making some noise and said that he was bleeding and that he was afraid that his stitches had come out. We went over to him to check on him and his shirt had blood all over it - it was a scary sight! We said he needed to get to the doctor ASAP, etc.

And then, he opened his shirt and showed us the steak that he had underneath, taped to his chest and which was the source of all of the blood. :D

So, how did he like his steak cooked when you threw both of them onto the grill?

Chris

:o(worship)lol

Of all the stories I was possibly looking for, I could not have ever guessed a story like that. Thanks for sharing! Any other good stories to share, possibly one or two that are coin related? You seem to be the ONLY current or former TPG grader willing or able to share. Thanks Mark!

What was the grade of the steak: USDA Commercial, Choice or Prime? hm

jom

Of all the stories I was possibly looking for, I could not have ever guessed a story like that. Thanks for sharing! Any other good stories to share, possibly one or two that are coin related? You seem to be the ONLY current or former TPG grader willing or able to share. Thanks Mark!
You're most welcome.

Perhaps some good coin stories will come to me later, but most of my memories are of people and events, as opposed to coins.

I did get to see and grade many amazing coins and groups of coins, however.....

Among them were more than 1000 of the finest (MS67 and MS68) 1908 Wells Fargo Saints, when they surfaced. That hoard easily constitutes the vast majority of the best available examples of that date.

Many of the coins from the Eliasberg collection, after it was sold through a series of auctions. One of the ones that left a special impression on me and which, years later, I got to handle/sell, was a Proof Type 1 Three Cent Silver, dated 1851. It was, and still is, unique as a Type 1 Proof. In other words, it is a unique type coin.

I saw one or more runs of original mid-to-late 19th century and early 20th century Proof sets in original tissue paper and envelopes.

I saw ho-hum rarities such as 1913 Liberty Nickels and Ultra High Relief Saints.

I saw hundreds of 1945-S Mercury Dimes from a hoard, most of which displayed similar colorful toning and toning patterns. Most of the MS68's in major TPG holders are from that group.

And so on. ;)

Mark,

Did you ever get to grade any of the coins that went into the National Collection at the Smithsonian?

Chris

You're most welcome.

Perhaps some good coin stories will come to me later, but most of my memories are of people and events, as opposed to coins.

I did get to see and grade many amazing coins and groups of coins, however.....

Among them were more than 1000 of the finest (MS67 and MS68) 1908 Wells Fargo Saints, when they surfaced. That hoard easily constitutes the vast majority of the best available examples of that date.

Many of the coins from the Eliasberg collection, after it was sold through a series of auctions. One of the ones that left a special impression on me and which, years later, I got to handle/sell, was a Proof Type 1 Three Cent Silver, dated 1851. It was, and still is, unique as a Type 1 Proof. In other words, it is a unique type coin.

I saw one or more runs of original mid-to-late 19th century and early 20th century Proof sets in original tissue paper and envelopes.

I saw ho-hum rarities such as 1913 Liberty Nickels and Ultra High Relief Saints.

I saw hundreds of 1945-S Mercury Dimes from a hoard, most of which displayed similar colorful toning and toning patterns. Most of the MS68's in major TPG holders are from that group.

And so on. ;)

Wow, just the "AVERAGE" stuff that everyone else seems to dream about. I get it. Just average stuff. :cloud9: (thumbs u :luhv:

I guess it is easier to remember people and events...but if you happen to think of the circumstances under which all of the little people might drool, please do not hesitate to share as much as you can recall.

How about the time you handled your FIRST BIG TIME DREAM COIN as a grader. Anything memorable there. How about a story behind you handling a coin that had long been a dream of yours...anything there in that realm? Thanks Mark.

The common folk around here like myself have to live through others every now and then. ;)

Well, there was the time I took in for certification a stolen 1804 dollar, and, knowing that it was stolen, after charging the guy $500 for the certification, asked him if he wanted to have it graded for another $25!!!!!

TD

Here is one of the coins Mark speaks of...

45smerc.jpg

45smerc1.jpg

45smerc2.jpg

If I remember correctly Bochiman and Mr. Feld agreed that it was likely caused by time spent in after market holders of the old save a dime variety that banks used to give out.

Nick

Well, there was the time I took in for certification a stolen 1804 dollar, and, knowing that it was stolen, after charging the guy $500 for the certification, asked him if he wanted to have it graded for another $25!!!!!

TD

That's Awesome! Guessing the cops were called, the guy was arrested and the rightful owner got his coin back? So, did you grade it? :)

Hey Mark -- Here's two questions for ya...

1) What is the hardest US coin to grade accurately ?

2) What was your least favorite coin to grade when you were working for NGC ?

and tell some more stories... the steak one was classic !

Please alert us when we can begin placing advance book orders at Amazon.com.

Cool story cpm9ball. Yup, I was hoping Mr. Feld might have a story or two to add.

...hmmm. if he's got some he might just be putting them into a book as we speak! (thumbs u

TD

That's Awesome! Guessing the cops were called, the guy was arrested and the rightful owner got his coin back? So, did you grade it? :)

We never got around to grading it. Turned it over to the FBI. It was the Linderman specimen, then owned by the DuPont Family, now owned by the Smithsonian.

TD

We never got around to grading it. Turned it over to the FBI. It was the Linderman specimen, then owned by the DuPont Family, now owned by the Smithsonian.

Cool, thanks for the follow up. :) So, what else can you share? If you have one story, we know you have more. ;)

TD

Which TPG service did you work for?

TD

Speaking of the DuPont family, in the 50's & 60's, the DuPonts had two summer homes in Ocean City, MD. One was in North Ocean City on about 20 acres that had about 1000' of beachfront. Of course, this was long before the days of home security systems, and during the winter months when the family was back in Delaware, it was burglarized several times. I recall reading about one such occasion in the local paper and it mentioned that a coin collection was stolen, but I can't remember any of the details. Does anyone remember anything about this?

Chris

Mark,

Did you ever get to grade any of the coins that went into the National Collection at the Smithsonian?

Chris

No to my knowledge, Chris.

This isn't quite a "coin" story, either, but......

The guys who handled the slab-sealing knew that I did most of the quality control, in which I checked the encapsulated coins before they were shipped out.

I examined the coins themselves, as well as the holders and information on the grading labels, etc.

One day, I was going through a box of coins, and in one of the holders, nicely sealed, I might add, was a large roach. No coin, just a roach, that the guys had acquired and slabbed, to play a joke on me. I thought it was pretty darned funny.

The guys who handled the slab-sealing knew that I did most of the quality control, in which I checked the encapsulated coins before they were shipped out.

I examined the coins themselves, as well as the holders and information on the grading labels, etc.

One day, I was going through a box of coins, and in one of the holders, nicely sealed, I might add, was a large roach. No coin, just a roach, that the guys had acquired and slabbed, to play a joke on me. I thought it was pretty darned funny.

Mark, if it was a German cockroach, you should have sent it back to them with the notation to designate it "RB".

Chris

Again, not quite what I imagined when I posted this thread but funny as hell! :applause: Wow! I bet that slabbed roach would bring a lot of money on eBay. Whatever happened to it...trash I imagine?