• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Ancient PCGS Slab

7 posts in this topic

There was a time when PCGS was only another potential player trying to make it in a market that barely existed.

I was going through some of my loose holding today and I ran across another item i barely remembered even owning. I believe I received it at the time it was first distributed, I have know idea where or why. It is a SAMPLE slab from PCGS. The coin in the slab is a very common silver Roosevelt Dime that was obviously used to simply show potential customer how PCGS planned on slabbing their coins. Given the current looser grading standards, I am tempted to send it to NGC and see if it garners a 65 or 66. Just for kicks, it would be worth the relatively small investment. The picture does it know justice but the Roosevelt is quite attractive.

So what do you think, Crack that slab?

8736.jpg

See more journals by Beaw

Your impression of why they were created is correct, a free giveaway by PCGS at shows in order to show off to the public what their new slab looked like. This is the second version of PCGS sample slab and was probably used from mid 1986 to late 1989. The very first PCGS sample slab was used for a much shorter time and is much scarcer. It differs from this one in that the entire serial number is all zeros 00000.00/0000000

Thanks Condor101, do you think the serial number is actually in the PCGS database? I should try and ADD it to my holdings and see what happens.

I just tried to look it up and it doesn't exist. Personally I would leave it as it is. There can't be that many sample slabs out there.

I also own one of these. Value is about $20.00 as a sample slab. The coin inside is generally nice. As for how many exist, or are left... it is anybody's guess, but they are not super rare. Fun piece to own.

I just wiped the glue residue off the upper RH corner. She looks much nicer now. I think I will heed the advice of all and just keep it intact. It really is kind of neat and it most definitely rattles. (:

I think KEEPING to be a good decision. I am going to receive a Benji this week that is a W designated coin. It is a old holder and the W stands for a white coin. I don't think I would regrade that as I have not seen any but will show it off after I receive it. Old slabs are COOL.

HAPPY COIN COLLECTING