• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saturday Guess the Grade and Overton! 1808

11 posts in this topic

I picked this one up today at a local show, my photos aren't the best, but have a guess at the grade and the Overton variety.

111839.jpg.9212253f72792f05516e57f6ccf6527b.jpg

111840.jpg.c0734f26e834314346eb3d78b0f2bfc6.jpg

Althought I have mid/lower grade capped busts(1807-1813). I really don't know much about the overton.

I'd say this is F-15...... Might be a VF-20 if I put my glasses on. :grin:

Has a few dings on the obverse. That doesn't bother me at all.

Are those newer scratches across the cheek downward to the bust?

Decent coin though....

107. I see the crack from S5, but neither of the cracks at the date which would make it the "a" model.

I thought I remembered you posting an XF (AU?) 107 before. Are you hoarding them? ;)

Trying to learn here. What hits me immediately is that I see no mention in Overton regarding the scalloped point in S7. 107--all stars sharp and well formed. Not by this example. Stars are definitely not well formed---post mint damage?

$ilverHawk

Trying to learn here. What hits me immediately is that I see no mention in Overton regarding the scalloped point in S7.

All 1808 obverse dies have the scalloped point. Sometimes it is mentioned; other times it is not.

107--all stars sharp and well formed. Not by this example. Stars are definitely not well formed---post mint damage?

$ilverHawk

No, just die erosion.

Ok, so if you have one crack but not the other then it's a 107? Even though the 107 doesn't call for any cracks? This one is confusing me!

Oh, and I am not hoarding 107s, just can't resist these early dates when I can pick them up, and usually find out when I get home that I already have one! doh!

Ok, so if you have one crack but not the other then it's a 107? Even though the 107 doesn't call for any cracks? This one is confusing me!

Oh, and I am not hoarding 107s, just can't resist these early dates when I can pick them up, and usually find out when I get home that I already have one! doh!

General usage seems to be that an intermediate stage would be called the more common of the die states. When both states have equal R ratings (such as this one ) then it is really up to the owner which one he decides to call it.

I personally tend to call a coin the earlier of the states right up until everything necessary to "offically" make it the later state appears.

Warning: I never set out to hoard 1827s either. I now have over 100 of them though. Resistance is futile. :D

General usage seems to be that an intermediate stage would be called the more common of the die states. When both states have equal R ratings (such as this one ) then it is really up to the owner which one he decides to call it.

I personally tend to call a coin the earlier of the states right up until everything necessary to "offically" make it the later state appears.

Warning: I never set out to hoard 1827s either. I now have over 100 of them though. Resistance is futile. :D

Yeah, I know all about the resistance is futile issue! lol