• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A rising tide does not elevate all boats …

9 posts in this topic

Over the past year or so the prices for the modern commemorative gold coins have been going up with the price of gold bullion. One would think that these higher prices would result in even increasing values for ALL of the modern commemorative gold pieces, but that is not the case.

The Smithsonian coins did not sell very well when the mint offered them in 1996. As a result these pieces have been one of the few modern issues that has consistently sold for more than the issue price.

The Smithsonian four piece wooden box set is unique. It was the last of its kind, and it came in a oblong shaped box that is totally different from any of the other Proof and Uncirculated box sets. Very few of these sets were sold, and the wholesale list prices hovered around $1,300 for a long time. Now, despite the rising prices for bullion, the bid price for these sets has dropped to $1,150.

SmithboxExter.jpgSmithboxInter.jpg

And here's a shocker, although it really was predictable ...

The 1999-S silver Proof set that was once bid at $325 + is now down to $135. :o

it sounds like a good buy now.

I'm not so sure.

The trouble with most modern stuff, it's out of sight out mind. Once this modern stuff goes on the back burner, it tends to stay there. The mint issues so much stuff now that collectors can't keep up with what's current, let alone stuff from 10 or 15 years ago.

I always thought both the dollar and half eagle were quite attractive. If they would get closer to melt I would purchase this set.

I sold my 1999-S Silver Proof Set for about $275 a few years ago. Not quite at the high but good enough for me! :)

Edit: That Smithsonian Set sure does look cool.

The biggest mystery to me is why as many collectors even choose to buy this material. I do not collect any US coins but if I did, modern commemoratives would be at the absolute bottom of my list along with US circulating moderns.

The biggest mystery to me is why as many collectors even choose to buy this material. I do not collect any US coins but if I did, modern commemoratives would be at the absolute bottom of my list along with US circulating moderns.

I'm not so sure. Although many of these modern commems are buttugly I do like a few of them. Rushmore, Bill of Rights, this new one about Medal Of Honor and the Bald Eagle come to mind.

However, what blows my mind is why would anyone pay a premium to get these in some sort of slab at MS70 deep cameo or some other such thing? To me having the original packaging is far more attractive...

jom

it sounds like a good buy now.

I don't know. It's mintage isn't all that much lower than the other common sets, and not as low as I believe the last year 2008. I think in the long run it still hasn't hit bottom.