• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today at noon the US mint sells the 5 oz 2010 silver Hot Springs:

36 posts in this topic

The US mint website will begin accepting orders today April 28th at 12 Noon eastern time for the first of the "collector" versions of the 5 oz silver 'America The Beautiful' coins, showing Hot Springs. The mint's price is 279.95 (plus shipping) and the ordering limit is one per household. If you also order something else, enough to increase your total to $300, your order will ship free. Only 27,000 coins are available. The other four ATB coins of the 2010 set will be offered later, also individually, dates to be announced.

The premium over the spot price of silver, which as I write this is now $49.10 per ounce, is tolerable, only 6.89 per ounce. It is expected that the mint's website will be choked with orders and only those who are lucky or very persistent will be able to get through in the first few hours. A sell-out is expected, if not today, then by tomorrow. Perhaps a majority of buyers are planning to try to "flip" this coin for a profit, since hardly anybody has seriously decided to try collecting the entire set of 5 ounce ATBs, which will involve 110 coins scheduled to be produced until year 2021, 55 designated as bullion, and 55 as numismatic or collector versions. If you seek to collect the whole set, the silver bullion alone will cost you about $27 grand at today's prices, and after adding on premiums and other costs, expect it to be well over 30 thousand bucks.

I'm not buying :hi: .

I ordered one just for heck of it

Took 50 minutes to get through

OP

Same Here! My order went through at 11:50 central time.

I would rather spend $30,000 on ONE quality coin than $30,000 on that stuff. Lots of room to store it AND what if you get half way through the series with Silver above $50 per ounce then it drops to $20? If Silver were cheap, collecting a series like this might make sense but collecting it when silver is expensive relative to recent years it would seem like there is a TON of RISK.

Only 27,000 coins are available.

I guess these hocky puck things are more exciting than the conventional modern commemorative coins. If something had a mintage of 27,000 in that series, it would be a candidate for the melting pot.

To be frank about it, I think that these things are silly. Non government mints have been making over-sized versions of Silver Eagles for years, and no one cared other than the lemmings who believe the barkers on "Shop at Home."

Now because they are a U.S. mint product these silver medals are real collectors' items. Well they are not collectors' items for THIS collector. (shrug)

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I had a coin dealer yesterday email me and say that he would pay $360.00 for my puck when it will cost me a total of $285.45. That alone makes this item not silly to me.

Only 27,000 coins are available.

I guess these hocky puck things are more exciting than the conventional modern commemorative coins. If something had a mintage of 27,000 in that series, it would be a candidate for the melting pot.

To be frank about it, I think that these things are silly. Non government mints have been making over-sized versions of Silver Eagles for years, and no one cared other than the lemmings who believe the barkers on "Shop at Home."

Now because they are a U.S. mint product these silver medals are real collectors' items. Well they are not collectors' items for THIS collector. (shrug)

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I tend to have to agree with you Bill. I have a 4to oversize Qtr that is nothing but silver bullion. I see no difference in these ATB's as I do with this. And I feel you are correct, when silver drops back down, these will go down also. Plus, this modern stuff soo far has not been able to show any appreciation in value when looking at the Prez Dollars, State Qtrs, later Proof sets and even most Modern Comms. It's sad to say, but I think most people will not realize it until the hype from these are over.

I had a coin dealer yesterday email me and say that he would pay $360.00 for my puck when it will cost me a total of $285.45. That alone makes this item not silly to me.

I won't dispute the fact that you might make money on these items, and that is okay and great for you.

But from a numismatic perspective I view these things as a zero.

You have to remember that I have said many times that I have no respect for the 1913 Liberty nickel. It would be great to sell it for a few million dollars, and I sure would not turn down the money, BUT to me the coin was made illegally and stolen from the mint. I think that the 1933 double eagles have a lot more legitimacy that the 1913 Liberty nickel, but that’s me. (shrug)

I'm make a distinction between making money and what I view as a true collectors' item.

personally I like the looks and I love the size of them. But, storing them could pose to be an issue, at least for me. Dont get me wrong, I would love to have them, I just have a hard time justifying the overall cost of the full set. Each person has their opinion on them, and I applaud those who are going to end up with the full set. I just personally cant do it :(

-Chris#2

I got one!!!

Dialed in at 11:59 am and re-dialed twice more...less then two minutes later I was speaking to a Customer Service Rep. I was shocked I got through so quickly.

IMHO I think in the short term they will sell for almost double what the original price was.. up to a couple months.. then slack off. However, there is a lot of very valuable coins out there that were not worth much over face value for a long time.. only time will tell of course with these coins. There is a lot of talk about when the price of silver drops the value will too.. kind of like when the price of gold drops right? More people can afford silver over gold.. kind of like me so I think silver is going to stay up there for a while.. Gold is bound to drop in value especially when the economy recovers more. Don't flame me.. just my 2 cents.. it may be completely wrong. I know my silver purchases are up and my gold are nonexistent.

Dealers are actually offering more than that for these. ATS someone has a buy thread up for $380 each.

As of Monday evening there has not been a complete sellout, despite the frenzy of early orders last Thursday. According to the latest info, there are as many as 2000 coins remaining, and with the downward fluctuations in silver spot price beginning on Sunday, few additional sales will be occurring now. Rather, a substantial number of persons who placed orders might decide to cancel.

Yep, don't have it in hand yet, but I already sold it to a dealer, when I get it, I send it to him, they send me some cash.

I have mine now.. Its actually pretty neat. The size of it is almost funny. I actually really like the coin size.. mainly because the details are easier to see. Some of the better designed coins in this size will be really nice. I hope silver keeps dropping.. then I can afford more of these.. lol

Mine arrived today - that is one LARGE quarter and could be problematic for a soda machine. :roflmao:

Sending the coin in with 5 other 2011 Gold Eagles for the ER label - just have to pay the $25 extra for the oversized holder in addition to the regular fee.

IMG_1238.jpg

I got mine yesterday and it looks much nicer than the first release. It is "almost" attractive now ;)

Especially when I ordered them with silver around $48 - doh.

I could never understand why the permium on the Silver Panda's was always so high compared to other countries. But if you have the set, you're compelled to buy at the high cost. I have 12 in my registry and my slowness to move on the 2011 will cost me in the end.