• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello and New Custom Set

19 posts in this topic

Hi All. I’ve been a collector on and off my whole life but I am new to the forums (this is my first post).

I just started a new custom set which I call a “Very, Very Basic US Type Set.” I picked one example for each US denomination. I selected coins with cool designs (well at least designs I think are cool) or coins with interesting histories. I also tried to pick a variety of designs which showcase coins produced throughout the history of the Mint.

I may one day expand this to a larger US type set with all major designs included; but I wanted to start small. Below are my choices, as well as the first coin purchased for this custom set (a nicely toned Barber Half from Mark Feld which is much more lustrous in hand). Would love to hear your thoughts on my choices, what coins you guys would have picked and what you think of the Barber.

1. Draped Bust Half Cent

2. Indian Head Cent

3. Two Cent

4. Three Cent Nickel

5. Three Cent Silver

6. Liberty Nickel

7. Capped Bust Half Dime

8. Mercury Dime

9. Twenty Cent

10. Standing Liberty Quarter

11. Barber Half

12. Trade Dollar

half1914sPCGS64.jpg

Howdy and welcome. Mark is a great guy and a member of these boards. I have also seen that half dollar before and this series is mighty tough to find nice. Will you be attempting a mint state series or are you going to mix in circulated coins, too?

Hi BKW, welcome to the boards!!! :hi:

That's a lovely Barber. :applause: If the rest of your set looks like that it'll be an amazing set. Looking forward to having you here on the boards.

Welcome...and that is an Awesome Barber!

Not to add more to your set....but I would consider adding a Bust Half to it...you can pick up a nice one for fairly inexpensive...

Good Luck! Jake

Jake Blackman

HollyDay Coins

hollydaycoins@gmail.com

704-719-6866

www.hollydaycoins.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/hollydaycoins

Welcome to the boards :hi:

You would probably have to include a Morgan in the selection . I'm not much of a fan of them but they are a real mainstay of early dollars .

Martin

I think this Barber has become my new favorite (though I find myself saying that about each new coin I buy :) ). And if it weren't for some grade-limiting dings on Miss Liberty's nose, I think this coin would grade higher than it did.

I'd like to collect the entire set in MS. Once I finish with these initial 12, I will probably start the expansion with Half Dollars and Dollars.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

I admire the brevity of your type set collection. My only suggestion would be to somehow work in an 18th century coin, so as to represent the earliest decade of the Federal mint. Perhaps a 1799 large cent lol ? ... or maybe a 1798....

Yes, the Barber is a really nice piece. (thumbs u

If my collection consisted of just 12 pieces, I don't know that I would include both three cent pieces. I'd be inclinded to dump the Nickel Three cent piece (Not one of my favorite type coins) and go for a large cent in its place.

A nice gem 1799 would be great. Who needs a house anyway lol Seriously, though, I was thinking about working in something 18th Century. I'll have to think what would fit (and what I can afford).

And, Bill, you almost read my mind. I was thinking of swapping out one of the three cent peices for a large cent; but I would dump the Silver Three. Or maybe I will keep both Threes and just add a large cent for a lucky 13 piece type set :)

Welcome to the forum. You couldn't have picked a better seller to make your first purchase from, as Mark is beyond reproach in his honor and integrity.

Beautfiul Barber half--Mark certainly has nice coins--no doubt.

As to your type set, I cannot imagine having a set without a large cent, Liberty Seated representative(at least one), and a Morgan Dollar. One thing to think of is the 1853-4 series of the Liberty Seated series, as they represent a time when the mint made a change of the coins silver content/weight and notated it by placing arrows/rays on the coins for a short period of time(again in 1874). Just something to consider.

I agree with Bill regarding your 3 cent nickel selection--not one of my favorites--but then it is your choice.

Best of luck and I agree with the others that you have made a tremedous start. Looking forward to watching your progression.

Jim

I was thinking about working in something 18th Century. I'll have to think what would fit (and what I can afford).

Depending on grade requirements, you can get a very decent "good" large-cent from 1798 for about :) $70. Even in "fine", it isn't anywhere near an astronomical expense.

Thanks for all the input. After reading your suggestions and speaking to my local dealer, I've decided to add an 18th Century Draped Bust Large Cent to the collection and change the Half Cent to a Classic Head (so I won't repeat the Draped design).

I've also picked up coin number two for this set. The picture below is quite accurate and I think it's the finest IHC I've personally seen. I love the frosty luster of this coin.

Have to put a hold on the purchases for a while now until I can replenish my coin budget.

01C0051_1.jpg

I've decided to add an 18th Century Draped Bust Large Cent to the collection and change the Half Cent to a Classic Head (so I won't repeat the Draped design).

Superb strategy (thumbs u !

(And a FANTASTIC IHC!)