• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I see a HTT thread, what about a CWT, Merchant store and Campaign token thread

152 posts in this topic

This token arrived today. I purchased it in the June 2, 2013 Steve Hayden online auction. I paid a very strong price for it, but it's not a token that comes up in this condition very often. The NGC population includes only 12 examples, among those one in MS66BN, and three in MS65RB. I don't know where the other two 65RB examples are, but I have a hard time believing they would challenge the eye appeal of this one.

The token is rated R-5 by Fuld, with 76-200 examples estimated extant. I have seen about a dozen in the VF-XF range on eBay over the past 2.5 years. The MS66BN example is in strong hands, and likely there for a long while. Given that I had searched for an eye appealing example of this token for well over 2 years, I bid strong to make this one mine. I usually don't care too much about pedigrees, but this token comes from the former Stephen Tanenbaum personal collection; who, for those of you CWT collectors out there, the guy was a legend. A very nice write up on the history of the token was written in December 2012 by Aaron Packard on the NovaNumismatics site, and I have included that in my description of the piece in my horses set which you can read here.

1863_Aschermann_Tobacco_NGC_MS65RB_composite_zps33612a09.jpg

1863_Aschermann_Tobacco_NGC_MS65RB_obv_zpsd10cae55.jpg

1863_Aschermann_Tobacco_NGC_MS65RB_rev_zpsf2b7efcb.jpg

1859 Charles Ira Bushnell - Augustus B. Sage “Numismatic Gallery” Series No.1, Copper, 31mm Diameter.

This Charles Ira Bushnell token is listed as #58 in the book titled "100 Greatest American Medals And Tokens" Although Augustus B. Sage in this series addressed other prominent 19th century numismatists, today they are lesser known and Bushnell is the only one that is sought out. This is only the second example I've seen on the market as I was the under bidder on a lower grade example in early 2011. QDB himself needed to borrow an example from the Massachusetts Historical Society museum for the book plate and Harry Bass Jr. only managed to acquire a EF40.

Although I'm not doing it justice in my non diffused images,once in hand and rotated it under a light source it is total fully proof-like red/brown eye candy blanketed with lovely deep blue patina.

14nd2br.jpg

Charles I. Bushnell - The “Numismatic Gallery” Series by Q. David Bowers:

Our next string of “Focus on People” subjects will bring to the fore a group of numismatists who were viewed as hobby leaders in 1859. That’s right, 1859, or nearly 150 years ago!

Augustus B. Sage, teenage New York City coin dealer and primary founder (in March 1858) of the American Numismatic Society, hit upon the idea of issuing a numbered series of medals titled “Numismatic Gallery.” He commissioned George H. Lovett, well known New York die-sinker, to create them, featuring on the obverse of each the portrait of the individual honored, and on the reverse the number and related lettering. Measuring about 31 mm each and available in copper these seem to have enjoyed a popularity at the time. Today, all are fairly scarce in the context of the demand for them, with populations for each generally in the dozens, not the hundreds or the thousands.

The series began and ended in 1859, and wound down with number nine. Modern day numismatic historians are confronted with a mystery: number four, featuring Dr. James Chilton, was advertised, and yet no example has ever surfaced—not in an old time auction, not in the marvelous holdings of the American Numismatic Society, and not in any private collections of which we are aware. Chilton, medical doctor and chemist, widely lent or sold his name for use in advertising and endorsements during the 1850s. Perhaps Sage naively thought that he could feature Chilton, also a well-known numismatist, as a subject, and then found out differently when Chilton demanded payment or denied the privilege. As noted, the situation is a mystery.

The first honoree, showcased in this installment, is Charles I. Bushnell. In 1857, Sage submitted a series of articles, including answers to questions, for the New-York Dispatch, signing them “Gus.” A challenger rose, an anonymous correspondent who was designated as “Numismatist.” Some repartee ensued, all of which is documented in Q. David Bowers’ American Numismatics Before the Civil War book. “Numismatist” took particular exception to “Gus” citing as a reliable authority the 1842 book by J.R. Eckfeldt and W.E. Dubois, A Manual of Gold and Silver Coins of All Nations, Struck Within the Past Century, which became known popularly as the Assay Manual.

In time, “Numismatist” revealed himself to be Charles Ira Bushnell. The two met and became close friends. Bushnell had a medal struck showing a standing figure of Hercules with a club resting over left shoulder in the manner of a baseball bat and his right hand pointing to a fallen goddess (representing the Manual); the inscription BEHOLD THE MANUAL surrounding. The reverse was inscribed NUMISMATIST [bushnell] TO GUS. FOR VALOR. Three examples were struck, one for Sage, one for the New York Sunday Dispatch, and the third for Bushnell himself. In 1864 Sage donated his medal to the American Numismatic and Archaeological Society.

Charles I. Bushnell

It was perhaps natural when Sage began his Numismatic Gallery series of medalets that Bushnell be selected as number one. As to the subject, a brief biographical sketch follows.

Charles I. Bushnell was born on July 28, 1821. In time he became an attorney in New York City, while at the same time pursuing interests in numismatic and historical research, with his most intense activity in the 1850s, when he conducted extensive correspondence in an effort to learn more about the origins of certain early American coins and tokens. Certain of this information was employed by Sylvester S. Crosby in his Early Coins of America (1875) and by Lyman H. Low in his Hard Times Tokens (1899). He is credited by some to have induced the Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut, to create fantasies and restrikes to his order, among which were certain pieces related to maker Scovill to restrike the 1837-1841 Hard Times tokens, and possibly also copy-restrikes of the 1787 Fugio cent the so-called “New Haven restrikes.” however, Messrs. Davenport and Levick may have been more involved than Bushnell.

Years later, on February 23, 1867, Sage recalled his friend: About the year 1858 I first met Mr. Charles Bushnell, a gentleman who has probably done as much as any other in the country to advance the interest of numismatology. Mr. Bushnell then had his office at No. 63 Wall Street, engaged in the practice of his profession, as a lawyer, and was then, and is still engaged, I believe, on a work which ever completed, published I should say, will rank as the only authentic History of American coinage ever published in this country. During my time there have been numerous efforts by ‘historians of an hour’s growth’ to send their name (and the printers) to posterity, on the title page of an American numismatic work. [such have been of little value.] Mr. Bushnell has published a work on American tokens, the letter press consisting mostly of descriptions of such tokens as came within his observation prior to its publication. What with the thousands of ‘store cards’ and copperheads that have been uttered since, I fancy such a work would now prove rather voluminous.

Today, numismatic historians remember Bushnell for his 1858 study, An Arrangement of Tradesmen’s Cards, Political Tokens, also, Election Medals, Medalets, Etc. Current in the United States of America for the Last Sixty Years, Described from the Originals, Chiefly in the Collection of the Author, With Engravings, and his 1859 monograph, An Historical Account of the First Three Business Tokens Issued In The City of New York. The last described “1789” Mott and 1794-1795 Talbot, Allum & Lee tokens.

Another recollection of Bushnell was given by Henry Russell Drowne:I remember calling on, I judge about 1873, great collector of the American series. Charles I. Bushnell. He then resided in a house on the east side of 4th Avenue, I think between 29th and 30th streets, I am impressed with the fact that it had no front stoop. Mr. Bushnell, who was then quite advanced in years, had his coin cabinet in a small room near the rear of the house on the second floor. I remember particularly his showing me his rare varieties of the 1793 cents—Wreath, Chain, Liberty Cap, etc., which I had not seen before; also some of the differences in the cents of 1794. He also showed his ‘Good Samaritan Shilling’ as something of special interest, as also the New England and Pine Tree Shilling series. He gave me several coins and medals, some of which I still have.

For whatever reason, Bushnell was not very active in numismatics after the Civil War, and the Drowne visit seems to have been unusual for the time. He died at his residence on September 17, 1880. His estate collection was obtained by Lorin G. Parmelee, a Boston bean baker who had one of the largest cabinets of the era. He extracted pieces of interest, and placed the substantial remainder in the hands of brothers S.H. and Henry Chapman, who auctioned it in a memorable sale in June 1882, via a catalogue titled Catalogue of the Celebrated and Valuable Collection of American Coins and Medals of the Late Charles I. Bushnell. The work, over 140 pages, described 3,000 lots. Realized $13,900.47.

The holding was well known, and it was desired by all of the leading dealers. When it was awarded to the young Chapman brothers, there was great consternation and jealousy, much of which was reflected in print in competitors’ catalogues, where every typographical or numismatic error that could be found was reprinted with glee. No matter, the collecting fraternity loved the catalogue and the sale itself, and a coin bearing the Bushnell pedigree was considered to be quite special for a long time, indeed, even today. This event, held in 1882, served to establish the foundation for the Chapman brothers’ business. The sale catalogue has become an important reference for colonials, tokens, medals, and other items in the non-mint United States series. An article by John J. Ford, Jr., “The Bushnell Sale,” by John J. Ford, Jr., appeared in The Coin Collector’s Journal, March-April 1951. and remains fascinating to read today.

More info on Augustus B. Sage:

2lj2vdt.jpg

Best remembered today for his medallic series, Sage's Numismatic Gallery, Augustus B. Sage was born in Connecticut in 1842. Little in known of Sage's early life, but in 1858 he was one of a small group of men who decided to form an "Antiquarian Society" in New York City for the study of coins and medals. (This Society, of course, would subsequently be renamed the "American Numismatic Society.")

The first meeting of this new society took place on March 15, 1858 at Sage's home on 121 Essex Street in New York City. Additional meetings, including the first formal meeting of the ANS on April 6, 1858, were also held at his home. At this latter meeting, Sage was elected Corresponding Secretary. Later that same year, on November 3, 1858, he was also elected Curator, although pressure from other matters caused him to resign from that position in January 1859.

In August 1862, with the Civil War raging, Sage joined the Union Army as a Captain in the New York Infantry Volunteers' 170th Regiment. Sage's first stint in the military service was cut short, however, when he was forced to resign due to ill health in December 1862. By July of 1863 he had recovered sufficiently to return to service, where he served with distinction and rose to the rank of Colonel before submitting his final resignation in December 1863.

After leaving the military, Sage returned to New York City where he became a lawyer. There are few indications that Sage had any significant contact with the ANS after his return to New York, other than a series of reminiscences on the formation of the ANS, which he wrote for the American Journal of Numismatics in 1867 and a few dies and catalogs which he donated that same year.

Sage died from pneumonia on February 19, 1874 at the age of 32.

Actor Edwin Forrest, the Gangs of New York, and the Astor Place 1849 Riot...

1857-58 Circa, F.C. Keys & Son’s Philadelphia Merchant Store Card, White Metal, 29mm Diameter, Miller-PA262, featuring a obverse bust of Shakespearean American actor Edwin Forrest.

30dku1y.jpg

This token was first mentioned in Charles Ira Bushnell’s 1858 book titled “An Arrangement of Tradesman's Cards, Political Tokens, Election Medals”. Although not considered rare it was missing in Benjamin P. Wrights 1898-1901 list compiled of all known store cards. It’s one of the lesser seen tokens not featuring a political figure. Over the course of the last decade this is the only the second time I’ve seen this wreathed Edwin Forrest toga bust die used as the other was on a George H. Lovett token. Not much is known about this issue and I’m not sure if this bust is a William Key creation or a mule featuring a die cut by Lovett. Which wouldn’t surprise me as it was quite common for die-sinkers of the likes of Lovett, Key, Bolen, Kline and others to swap dies. This example here is also the thickest store card I’ve ever seen, as it's almost most medal-like. Although the rim is just under 3mm with the ultra high relief bust of Forrest its 5mm overall in total height which makes for a quite impressive token in hand.

About Edwin Forrest:

2i74hld.jpg

He was the first true star of the American theater. Born in 1806 he was fascinated with the theater at a very early age and made his first professional appearance on the stage of Philadelphia's Walnut Street Theater when he was only 14 years old. Six years later he debuted in New York as Othello and became an overnight sensation with both critics and audiences.

The fame of his initial triumph and the power of his performances brought him sold-out houses in city after city. Within two years while still in his early twenties he had become the most highly paid performer in the United States. Professionally secure for fifty years Edwin Forrest remained the most highly paid and most popular actor in America. When he toured England and Europe he was the first American to be acclaimed an international star.

The New York City's Astor Place 1849 Opera Riot:

eulbbp.jpg

Staged riots at cultural events were routine in the 1840s. But the Astor Place riot of 1849 cost 22 lives and ending this practice. At best art inspires passion, at worst a riot.

On May 10, 1849 in New York City, a simple spat between rival actors turned into what's now known as the Astor Place Riot. Twenty-two people died and over 120 were injured at the Astor Place Opera House. The rival Macbeths were the English master William Charles McCready versus American Edwin Forrest. Their rivalry had been simmering for several years. Both were international stars, both had toured to each other's countries. Forrest, in 1845, had hissed Macready in Edinburgh. Macready was not too interested in engaging in this rivalry and was trying to avoid it, but Forrest wanted to press his point. So when Macready had his own tour to New York in 1849, Forrest's followers decided to avenge their hero and they're the ones that put together the riot.

Riots in those days especially in theaters were planned ahead of time. And they were usually intended to oppose a specific policy at the theater, not always a rival actor, sometimes a stage manager or even a piece of music that might have been played and ruffled the patriotic feathers in the audience. People would break up some furniture and throw things at the stage. Then retire go home to their dinners and the theater manager would take care of the problem and life would go on.

Forrest's supporters who were a lot of Bowery Boys and Tammany Hall politicians gathered their forces outside the hated Astor Place Opera House. They used Macready's performance as a means of protesting what they took to be elitist privileges in New York City. This was an opera house that had been built two years before and they had special kid glove dress codes and high prices so a lot of the population couldn't get into the opera house. So Macready became a symbol of English oppression of aristocratic privilege, all the things that the Bowery Boys had learned to hate.

Macready did leave but the rioting continued and finally the state militia was called up and brought in. They came to Astor Place Square fired over the heads of a lot of the rioters and ended up killing 22 onlookers. This was not something that Tammany Hall had expected or welcomed. It certainly wasn't a part of the usual we could say rioting conventions of antebellum America and it was a huge scandal for all around.

This arrived in my mailbox this week. I missed it in an auction last year and was pleased to get a second chance. The dull "Improperly Cleaned" surface doesn't bother me because it is unlisted in Fuld 2 and an R-10.

WmJacksonMI525C-6bObvRevBlk_zpsf8165c18.jpg

This Miller-LA-19 U.S. Merchant Store Card is a mule of a circa 1853-58 Nathan C. Folger, New Orleans clothing store Miller LA-10 obverse and circa 1851-55 C.W. Jackson Philadelphia coal dealer Miller PA-234 reverse. Elliot Woodward had already described this as "extremely rare" in a 1863 Bangs auction. I've never seen one plated before and Russell Rulau questions if the edge is plain or reeded which leads me to believe he never saw an example either. The edge is plain non reeded and interestingly the obverse has a rim clip with the reverse being completely clip free. If you look closely this was struck on a copper planchet meant for a Folger issue which is 29mm in diameter. The C.W. Jackson obverse die design used on the reverse of this mule is for a 28mm diameter token planchet. Struck perfectly centered it avoids the planchet clip and cups the rims upward from striking pressure. Although some mules have been intentional by the commissioning client selecting a different already cut reverse die store card design more fitting for another token manufacturing run. With both being nearly 1,100 miles apart from one another this token served no purpose as a store advertising card for either merchant and was a fantasy re-strike which was made to order at the request of a token collector. This practice was quite common with the likes of Levick, Bushnell and others to own something unique and create rarities within the series.

2e5m8ar.jpg

Nathan Cyprian Folger was born in Hudson, New York in 1810 and moved to New Orleans in 1830. He established his clothing business upon arrival and was also widely known as a depot for the supply of readymade plantation clothing on the largest scale. Folger issued a 34mm diameter brass store card dated 1837 Low-121/HT-117 struck by Bale & Smith in New York which is considered one of the major 4-5 figure rarities within the Hard Times Tokens series and unattainable to most collectors. Just five specimens known to survive and there have been only five auction sales in over a century. Due to the long hot Louisiana summers all show some signs of corrosion. The later 1853-58 issued 29mm copper and brass tokens are struck by Scovill Manufacturing Company in Waterbury, Connecticut. Edgar H. Adams wrote a very detailed article with plates on all Nathan Folgers tokens published a 1915 issue of ANA The Numismatist. By 1939 Wayte Raymond in his book titled “Standard Catalogue of U.S. Coins and Tokens” had considered all Folger tokens as rare. Today a regular reverse Folger 1850’s store card token in choice-gem condition can be obtained when available in the $300-500 range.

Here is a very nice example of a Dix token. This token paraphrases John Adams Dix, who as Secretary of the Treasury at the outbreak of the Civil War, sent a telegram to the Treasury agents at the New Orleans Mint ordering that: "If any one attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot." Although the telegram was intercepted by Confederates, and was never delivered to the Treasury agents, the text found its way to the press, and Dix became an early "poster child" hero of the North during the Civil War.

Dix had an interesting life, and fulfilled so many different posts that it is almost absurd. During his lifetime he served in the military early in life, leaving as a captain (1825). He then went on to practice law (1828), was Adjutant General of the New York State Militia (1830), Secretary of State of New York (1833), a member of the New York State Assembly (1842), a US Senator (1845), ran for Governor of NY State but lost (1848), and was President of the Mississippi and Missouri Railroad Company (1853). In 1861 he was appointed Secretary of the Treasury, and also postmaster of the City of New York. He also joined the US Army as a Major General in 1861. He was president of the Union Pacific Railroad (1863-1868) and would go on to also be Minister to France (1868) and, in late life, he was Governor of New York (1873) and ran for Mayor of New York City, but was defeated in 1876.

This particular die pairing is quite common; however, this example is the highest graded example listed in the populations at NGC. The toning patter on the reverse is quite stunning, and just sparkles in hand.

1863_FlagOfOurUnion_F207-409_NGC_MS66BN_composite_zpsbbc1aa0d.jpg

Here is a very nice example of a Dix token.

This particular die pairing is quite common; however, this example is the highest graded example at NGC by 2 grade points. The toning patter on the reverse is quite stunning, and just sparkles in hand.

Hi Brandon,

I have an NGC MS65 of the same 207/409a token shown on Page 2 of this thread, so while yours is a stunner there is at least one that is closer than 2 points lower.

Best, HT

Here is a very nice example of a Dix token.

This particular die pairing is quite common; however, this example is the highest graded example at NGC by 2 grade points. The toning patter on the reverse is quite stunning, and just sparkles in hand.

Hi Brandon,

I have an NGC MS65 of the same 207/409a token shown on Page 2 of this thread, so while yours is a stunner there is at least one that is closer than 2 points lower.

Best, HT

Al, well, that's curious. I guess that means I can't trust anything in the NGC CWT populations then? Yours is also in a newer pronged holder, so it's odd that it wouldn't be in the population report.

139726.jpg.190ceed6348cc36946deb1cb9986fd58.jpg

Thanks Sam, Brandon's imagery really impresses me. When you do the certification look up for my token (once you put the correct numbers in.....), here is the Coin Information:

Date/Info: 1863 CIVIL WAR F-207/409 a

Denomination: TOKEN

Grade: TOKEN MS 65 BN

Pedigree: THE FLAG OF OUR UNION

Additional Information

NGC Coin Price Guide: Price not Available

Total Graded at 65: 0

So none are graded at 65..... (shrug)

Best, HT

Here's a MS66RD example I used to own... Is it listed in the NGC pops?

rsac87.jpg

Broadstruck, your token is not a 207/409. The reverse is a 410, and I think maybe the obverse is 208? BUT, there are no DIX tokens of any kind listed in the NGC population as 66RD. I guess having the CWT populations isn't as great as I initially thought it was. They seem to be hugely spotty. I think given HT's and Broad's tokens, I basically don't trust anything in the pops for CWTs now.

Broadstruck, do you happen to have the Certification number for your 66RD example? From an IT/database standpoint, if the text of the label shows up in their certification verification database, then it should be easy enough to pull off and use to get proper populations. Having HT's cert number makes it easier to ask NGC to look at what is going on. Having yet another in 66RD would make it even better. :)

doh!

I just picked up this one also. The obverse die is easy to identify as it's the only one of the type with Miss Liberty's hair up in a bun. The reverse die is also easy to identify with the small beaver at the bottom. A few carbon spots on this one, but overall quite attractive I think.

1863_CWT_43-388a_NGC_MS64RB_composite_zps171bce1d.jpg

Here's a MS66RD example I used to own... Is it listed in the NGC pops?

rsac87.jpg

Broadstruck, your token is not a 207/409. The reverse is a 410, and I think maybe the obverse is 208? BUT, there are no DIX tokens of any kind listed in the NGC population as 66RD. I guess having the CWT populations isn't as great as I initially thought it was. They seem to be hugely spotty. I think given HT's and Broad's tokens, I basically don't trust anything in the pops for CWTs now.

Broadstruck, do you happen to have the Certification number for your 66RD example? From an IT/database standpoint, if the text of the label shows up in their certification verification database, then it should be easy enough to pull off and use to get proper populations. Having HT's cert number makes it easier to ask NGC to look at what is going on. Having yet another in 66RD would make it even better. :)

doh!

I'll have to do some digging to see if I ever photographed the slab label?

A 1860 Die-Sinker Merchant Store Card Token which will appeal to Indian Head Cent collectors :)

1860 F.B. Smith & Hartman, New York, 29mm Diameter, Thick Brass, Reeded Edge, Miller NY-818 / Wright-1000, Rarity-4.

Although my images aren't doing it justice this specimen is fully proof-like obv/rev fields and blanketed with delicate rose patina. The obverse design features as Indian maiden wearing a bonnet facing left with a likeness to the contemporary one cent piece. This store card was struck on a extremely think planchet which do to weight quickly eliminated uncirculated survivors. Their operation was located at 122 Fulton Street in downtown Manhattan. F.B. Smith was partners with James Bale from 1835-1848, Bale & Smith they were prominent die sinkers throughout the the hard times era. In Smith 1848 formed a partnership with Herman Hartmann which lasted until 1865 when Hartmann passed away.

dnomyv.jpg

Due to the popularity of the obverse design this token has eluded me over the years even in AU condition. It's usually not seen near CH BU as most if uncirculated fall just below it. TPG wise I believe the best ever recall seeing was two MS62's along with a single MS63... This example here is the finest graded MS65 and is in a 10 year old slab from when NGC first started grading exonumia. Thickness wise this token is the same as the white acrylic that NGC uses whatever millimeter thickness that might be? Below are some poor images which show the fully proof like surfaces which pop when tilted under a light source.

2r2ngbc.jpg

Moving forward from Steam to struck on a High Speed Compressed Air Hammer...

1867 William D. Grimshaw / Thomas Prosser & Sons, New York, Miller NY-105 / Wright-405, 39mm Diameter, White Metal, Rarity-5.

This has always been refereed to as a W.D. Grimshaw token, however Thomas Prosser was the proprietor located at 15 Gold Street.

Thomas Prosser was the distributor of Grimshaw's High Speed Compressed Air Hammer and his store card token was actually struck on the Air Hammer featured on the obverse.

Grimshaw's Air Hammer was capable of 150-420 blows per minutes at the time of patent in 1865 and by 1867 adjustable between 100-800.

rvlpv4.jpg

I missed out on this exact token shown far below 2 years ago and immediately started researching it heavily.

This store card was already considered Rarity-5 by Benjamin Wright in 1901 and today is far more difficult to locate then it's rarity level in any condition.

Along with the cleaned corroded lower grade example shown directly below which was the best Russel Rulau could find to plate in his book on U.S. Trade Cards I know of only of two other survivors.

2co6kqw.jpg

Here is the finest example known which I immediately purchased when it became available again.

t0m4u8.jpg

1876 John Matthews, Soda Water Apparatus, New York, 28mm Diameter, Rulau NY-190 / Miller NY-525 / Wright 674, R-4, Ex: Steve Tanenbaum Collection

A tough to find in high grade newp which was hard to resist as there's something very appealing about a woman with a dolphin in her face. This obverse design was used on a more commonly seen 1863 CWT with a 7 line -script reverse... However finding the 1876 trade token which also features the wild reverse design of a cherub in such a hurry to beat the bear off the soda fountain with a monkey wrench that it looses his diaper has been challenging as all most are seen heavily circulated with signs of abuse. Matthews was the inventor of the soda fountain and the reverse features his company logo designed by Karl Muller... Who must have frequented many opium parlors in his day.

29lieu0.jpg

1882 John Matthews, New York, 45mm Diameter, Rulau NY-199 / Miller NY-527.

Here's the largest of the Karl Muller designed Matthews which really show his reverse design best. I considered it a medal due to it's size and was shocked to see that both Donald Miller and Russell Rulau consider it a trade token. It's scarce and only listed as Silvered Copper as a non silvered Copper variety is unlisted. So this might need to have a new number assigned in future reference guides.

29y2qdd.jpg

Thought some of you may want to know, if you haven't already heard:

Dr. George Fuld died on October 19, 2013. A short biography from this website is copied below:

George J. Fuld (1932-2013) of Owings Mills, Maryland, was born in Baltimore, graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with an Sc.D. in 1957, and was a consultant and vice president of Fuld Brothers (1954-1960) before working as a radiation researcher with Goodyear Tire (1963-1967). He married his wife Doris in 1955 and with her owned Dorge Approvals, a philatelic auction business that conducted sales during the 1970s. He served as editor of The TAMS Journal, published by the Token and Medal Society, became auction manager for Bowers and Ruddy in 1980, and was later vice president and director of auctions at Pacific Coast Auction Galleries of Santa Barbara, California. He wrote extensively on medals and tokens, and with his father Melvin coauthored numerous articles and other works on Civil War tokens. He is also known for having established a token rarity scale.

RIP Dr. Fuld :sorry:

1876 Carrollton Clothing House, Baltimore, Maryland, Duffield-20 / Miller-MD-23 / Rulau MD-BA-10 / Schenkman 60-C35/ Wright-1661, 25mm Diameter, Thin Planchet, Non Reeded Plain Edge, Brass.

r242v6.jpg

This token has never come forth for photography and has never been plated in any reference guide.

It’s always just been described as "The Carrollton", below, "Clothing House." In the center, "—171— | W. Balto. St. | Next to the | Carrollton | Hotel." Rev. Female head 1., coronet with four stars, within a circle of 11 stars. In exergue, "1876." Brass. Size 25.

This token was considered Rare by Dr. Benjamin P. Wright’s in his “The American Store or Business Cards” research originally printed in the “The Numismatist” from 1898 to 1901 and at the time just 22 years after being struck assigned it a Rarity-4 status.

Frank G. Duffied who’s main area of interest was exonumia moved to Baltimore in 1889 and in 1907 contributed an article to “The Numismutist” titled “The Merchant Cards and Tokens of Baltimore”. In his research work stated "The Carrollton Clothing House" card is Extremely Rare and the specimen in Dr. B. P. Wright's collection being the only one he knows of.

Fifty years later George Fuld & his father Melvin mentioned they had a example in their collection and possibly knew of one other.

The die sinker for this token was John F. W. Dorman who was located at 19 German Street in Baltimore. Struck in very low relief on a thin 25mm diameter plain edge brass planchet the obverse Liberty Head with 4 stars is the same just enlarged design which Dorman used on his 1875 20mm diameter store card with the exception of using 2 lesser peripheral stars then the 13 on his own. 11 stars is quite unusual and looking at the obverse of the Carrollton Clothing House there was room to include them.

The Carrollton Clothing House was owned by G. C. Norris and only listed in Baltimore's business directories for having been in operation during the year of 1876. So this token may very well have been a pattern and with the business having failed in its first year no further production of advertising store cards for circulation commenced.

Having searched through 100 years worth of exonumia auctions (which is a dozen two foot high piles of bookmarked catalogs that resembles an episode of Hoarders) this particular token has only crossed the podium twice and based descriptions is the same example shown here. It was missing from many major collections which focused on Baltimore token issues such as Robert Lindersmith, Lionel Rudduck, Gilbert Steinberg and others. None surfaced in the recent John Ford Jr. sale which included hearty concentration of Baltimore token issues acquired from Fred C.C. Boyd, Wayte Raymond, Max Schwartz, and others.

This was valued by Benjamin Wright at $2.50 in 1898 and oddly just $5.00 in 1962 by Donald Miller. Russell Rulau on many tokens that he couldn’t find an auction price just used Miller’s 1962 values. In his first edition of “United States Trade Tokens 1866-1889” he also valued it at $5.00 and jumped the price to $7.50 in his second edition along with another final increase to $27.50 in his latest 2004 edition. As there are many tokens Rulau has valued at $50.00 just 9 years ago that today sell for upwards of $5,000.00 I had no issue adding this to my collection and paying multiples of guide book value to acquire it. As it is a mid level Rarity-8 quite possibly Unique Rarity-9 store card that might very well be both the Wright & Fuld specimen which has never been seen by the exonumia collector community before.

I've also enclosed some photographs of the Carrollton Hotel and the building next door as they stood at the time of this tokens centennial dated year of issue and one taken in 1904 of it's remains.

dbgikl.jpg

West Baltimore Street is just a couple blocks away from the convention center that Whitman uses for it's shows. When your attending the show later this week and are walking the brouse floor your actually amidst the center of a 140 acre region which was engulfed in the great fire which yielded the loss of over 1,500 buildings in the downtown Baltimore harbor area over the course of two days in February of 1904.

3r5vs.jpg