• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I see a HTT thread, what about a CWT, Merchant store and Campaign token thread

152 posts in this topic

I haven't posted for some time here but have been watching the HTT thread and its been great!

I thought perhaps we can get a CWT, Merchant and Political token thread going :)

Hopefully it will have some staying power as the HTT thread has or it may sink into the bowels of the forum.

Lets see what we can do!

I will start with the Scovill Manufacturing Company, they were the American equivalent of the Soho Mint of England. Very prolific in HTT's, CWT's Campaign tokens and so on.

Here is a little background from the

book of "100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens"

1850sScovillManufcturingCoPlate.jpg

1850's NewYork M-NY-803 Scovill MFG Company Daguerreotype Materials NGC MS66

1850sNewYorkM-NY-803ScovillMFGCompanyDaguerreotypeMaterialsNGCMS66.jpg

1850's NewYork M-NY-802 Scovill MFG Company NGC MS65RB

1850sNewYorkM-NY-802ScovillMFGCompanyNGCMS65RB.jpg

Here you go CRF, I posted thison the HTT thread but will post it here again.

PA-179ANGCMS65comp2.jpg

Alternatively, we can modify the HTT thread and open it to CWT and other periods - would be a way to keep extending the thread and keeping it live. If you like that alternative, let me know and as OP I an modify the title, or you can have a go here, whichever you like best. In either case, thanks for starting this thread!

Hi Hard Times,

Seeing your Merchant Card got me thinking that we needed another thread :)

I like that there are 2 different threads.....if its ok with you. Lets try and see what happens.

I will add this one. It is a rather common Merchant Store Card but not so common with the error listed in Rulau's book.

One is in brass as listed and I found one in Copper that is not listed in his 4th edition.

I love the D/O :grin:

DODDandHattersinformation.jpg[/img]

DODDCoHattersM-Ohio-10FMs63.jpg

DODDCopperunlisted.jpg[/img]

1844 Henry Clay Campaign Medal, HC 1844-9

10ndopc.jpg

This scarce intriguing medal was issued by the Native American Party also known as the Native American Association. It’s members were usually referred to as "Natives" a precursor to the Know Nothing Party in 1844.

They saw the U.S. flag as "Trampled Upon" and urged people to "Beware of Foreign Influence."

They supported the Whig ticket of Clay and Frelinghuysen and this medal is a product of the their platform was anti-foreign-born and anti-catholic.

They asserted that only native-born, protestant citizens were fit to run the country.

natives.jpg

american-patriot.jpg

gg9965.jpg

Anyone who has seen the film "Gangs of New York" is familiar with this anti-immigrant movement, which appeared in the early 1840’s and had political influence up to the Civil War when more pressing concerns pushed it from the stage.

White metal 41mm in diameter -

The obverse depicts Henry Clay standing with his right arm upraised and with his left holding a tattered U.S. flag with 13 stars.

On the reverse is a flying eagle with a scroll in its beak is surrounded by a semicircle of 7 stars.

Most surviving examples are known in VF +/- details condition and are either holed for suspension or have been plugged. This Unc example (NGC MS62PL) is one of the finest known and is fully proof-like along with being unholed.

Well there are a half a dozen Henry Clay 1840 campaign token varieties in the Hard Times Token series, but none are as graphic as this.

1861 Massachusetts Boston Henry Cook Medal Rulau Ma Bo 19 Copper MS65RB

1860sHenryCookMedal-1.jpg

From the 2010 Stack's Americana Auction Henry Cook,

who would become one of America’s first rare coin dealers, was born in Abington, MA, in 1821, a seventh-generation Mayflower descendant.

He moved to Boston when he was 16 years old and gained employment with a company in the export trade.

At the age of 21 he was sent to South America to handle the firm’s interests on the west coast there. Later he served as mate aboard a sailing vessel which traded along that coast and with islands in the Pacific.

By the 1840s he was an avid coin collector. In the 1850s he relinquished seafaring for the security of an on-land occupation in Boston, and entered the boot and shoe trade at 74 Friend Street.

He was fond of looking through copper half cents and cents in circulation and picking out scarce dates which he displayed in a counter in his shoe shop. It seems that he was active in the rare coin business by the mid-1850s.

Circa 1862 he commissioned a selection of patriotic medals to be struck from his own designs, with dies by George H. Lovett. In 1866, still located in his shoe shop-with-coins at 74 Friend Street,

Cook advertised as: “Numismatist and antiquarian. Rare and antique coins, medals, autographs, books, &c., bought, sold and exchanged. Cabinets arranged and catalogued for public sale in Boston or New York.

Also, purchases made at all the coin and book sales in either of the above mentioned cities, on commission.”

On April 6 of the same year he was elected treasurer at the founding meeting of the New England Numismatic and Archaeological Society.

In 1869 Cook issued a 12-page listing, Coin and Medal Circular,

Containing a Few Remarks on the American Series of Coins and Medals.

With a Little Brief Advice to the Inexperienced Collector

Nice DODD....er ahhh DOOD :D

I wonder why the copper one has never shown up in Rulau's book?

Maybe cause the only way to get in touch with Russell is through string and paper cups...

All other methods have failed me and on this one I feel there may be a short in my line hm;)

Wait I'll try once more... Calling Russell Rulau, Hello, Hello, Hello Anyone There? :(

I love the SPOOT Bugmann!!

I was told the Chinese are counterfeiting CWT's, yet hadn't seen one till now ;)lol

lol Good one Broadstuck!

Here is another one that I think is quite cool, the die was quite worn out by the time mine was made. It doesn't show well in the pictures but this CWT has some major flowlines going on.

IMG_1336.jpgIMG_1337.jpg

Here is my 'DOOD', a sibling to the CRF specimens

OH-M-9NGCMS63comp2.jpg

That is very attractive. What is the significance of the 144 on the obverse?

I was able to acquire this 1850's Dickeson Re-Strike at the Philly Whitman show 09 which made my day, as I first read about them when I received a copy of Breen's Encyclopedia in the late 80's and have followed them on and off since. Upon researching although the Breen 1380 variety with the Eagle perched on a half shell or rock has been available within the last decade alone on a few occasions. I have not seen this Eagle wings spread on a shield Breen 1381 variety cross any major coin auction since the Abe Kosoff era. I had seen this example become available a few weeks earlier and was drooling at my keyboard, it was one of the main reasons I ventured to the show.

As the story goes Dickeson obtained a pair of dies created by early mint employee Adam Eckfeldt. Those dies were never used for coinage or pattern purposes, and were assuredly sold as scrap metal by the Mint. Dickeson apparently believed the die was connected with the 1792 Getz or Birch cents. Dickeson thereby had a reverse die made which read "TRIAL PIECE/DESIGNED FOR/UNITED STATES/CENT./1792." and struck his tokens. The dies where actually not for the 1792 Cent as Dickeson believed but embossing dies for stamping revenue paper in 1816.

These are also listed in the Judd US Pattern book.

It's NGC MS63BN lots of red present with a nice overcast of blue patina. The obverse has a few die cracks and is a bit hard as it was struck from rusted dies, whereas the reverse is somewhat proof-like. It's 1 of 6 known which where struck by Dickeson and just another final frontiers of numismatics esoteric item that fits my collection well :P

BroadstruckNGCMS63BN.jpg

ipmo1d.jpgwjbfqe.jpg