• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rick Montgomery makes things right!

22 posts in this topic

Some of you may recall that I had won a 1946 Jeff nick in a Teletrade auction a few weeks back that was graded MS68 by NGC - finest known. The coin was overgraded in my opinion, and in an old holder that was not doing its job of preserving the piece. I had to contend with the possibility of sending the coin back to Teletrade and getting dinged for the return, or sending it to NGC for Appearance Review and hopefully having it removed from the market.

Alas, Rick Montgomery called with results, concurred with the basic assessment of the coin, and has bought the coin back. smile.gif This is excellent news for me and also for the hobby. This is great customer service and a show of integrity. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

This is great news!!!

Customer Service: What a novel idea! I've heard the "Standard for the Rare Coin Market" in coin grading, PCGS, is considering adding this idea to their company. They were going to do this earlier in the year but they spent too much on taking out ad's in Coin World, using up all of their "Whine and Cry" budget. Oh well, maybe next year.

laugh.gif

jom

I don't see anything here to get excited about. Were you expecting something less from a master coin grading company! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif All this great service is probably getting on pcgs's nerves! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Customer Service: What a novel idea! I've heard the "Standard for the Rare Coin Market" in coin grading, PCGS, is considering adding this idea to their company. They were going to do this earlier in the year but they spent too much on taking out ad's in Coin World, using up all of their "Whine and Cry" budget. Oh well, maybe next year.

sign-funnypost.gif

I'm very pleased to learn of this outcome. It is good for all parties involved.

And it didn't even take very long! I've returned coins to TT and had to wait longer for the check minus all sorts of fees...

Hmmmm, I guess it didn't have a Norweb pedigree? 893censored-thumb.gif

Just kidding. That's phenomenal and speedy customer service. Followup question: what happens to such a coin? Do they curate it and put it back on the market in an appropriate holder? Or do such coins just remain in house as reference material? I'd love to know.

James

Just kidding. That's phenomenal and speedy customer service. Followup question: what happens to such a coin? Do they curate it and put it back on the market in an appropriate holder? Or do such coins just remain in house as reference material? I'd love to know.

James

It was a Notweb pedigree. insane.gif

Rick said that they would "keep the coin around as a souvenier." laugh.gif I thought that was rather funny. Maybe they'll use it as a reference piece or perhaps they'll glue it to the wall they play darts on. wink.gif

Hoot

James

I think it depends. Assuming they do what PCGS does when they buy back a coin, the coin will either be downgraded or curated and regraded, then sold at auction. Alternatively, the coin can stay in house--I believe PCGS kept the 1963 PR70DC cent in the grading room with a sign saying "A $40,000 mistake"

Jeremy

I think it depends. Assuming they do what PCGS does when they buy back a coin, the coin will either be downgraded or curated and regraded, then sold at auction. Alternatively, the coin can stay in house--I believe PCGS kept the 1963 PR70DC cent in the grading room with a sign saying "A $40,000 mistake"

I think you are thinking about the PF69 Indian cent. The story, I have been told, is a *story*. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think you are thinking about the PF69 Indian cent. The story, I have been told, is a *story*. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Now that you say it, I think you're right. On the other hand, that cent was a $40k mistake, though 893blahblah.gif