• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are bank rolled coins more valuble?

4 posts in this topic

New to this. I have several bank rolls of coins and was wondering are they more valuble left in the roll Vs. broken open.

I have state quarters I purchased at the bank years ago and some wheat pennie rolls I purchased on e-bay. Should I leave them rolled or open them up to inspect the condition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Generally new (uncirculated coins) have greater demand in unopened rolls, so collectors can look for varieties or super high grade coins. For wheat pennies that are circulated, you can say they are unsearched, but 95% of the time they have been searched by someone, so no one really believes it! Just my opinion and worth what you paid.

I suspected that the "unsearched" is not really the case, but when they are machine wrapped would this add value?

Still don't know if I should take my Iowa quarters that I bought from the bank (machine wrapped) and open them up to see the condition. If they are machine wrapped is there a different wrap when they come from the mint vs the bank?

Can you take bulk coins to the bank and have them wrapped?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I know at my bank, they have a machine that they basically dump loose coins in one end and out the other end comes machine wrapped rolls, so it sorts, counts and rolls them all. So I supposed if I had a bag of wheat cents I could have them wrap them for me but it wouldn't make them any less picked over. The other thing to consider is that many large dealers have roll wrapping machines, so just because they look like bank wrapped rolls, may not mean they actually are!

The mint has different wrappers for the coins they sell (like the quarter rolls that cost $20 per roll), and those are different from the standard paper used in most bank rolls. However, it's possible for the Mint rolls to make it out into the "wild" as I recall in 2000 buying rolls of new Sac dollars in the same rolls that the mint was selling for $35 per roll, only I paid face from the local Wells Fargo branch.