• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dang, I got LUCKY!!!!!

31 posts in this topic

Last month, for some reason, I found myself in a bidding war for a 1951 proof set. I ended up winning it for about $560. I had immediate buyer's remorse because I just won and hadn't even seen the reverses. In other words, there was no reverse photograph on the listing, only a scanning of the obverses in a red, hard-plastic holder. WHY DID I BID?!???? When I received the set, it was gorgeous! I LOVED my purchase. However, I didn't know enough about older proof coins to truly be able to tell if the Franklin and Washingtons were cameo or not, but the patina on the Franklin was wonderful and the rainbows on the Roosevelt and Washington were awesome. I really was pleased with my purchase, but still thought I was not smart for bidding blind(basically). I checked all under the scope for varieties and came up empty. I then took these 2, very lousy, pictures and mailed the set off to NGC, because I had no idea where to grade these. One month and one week later, the results are in.....

this was the only picture in the ebay listing

Picture1.png

I apologize for the awful photos. I will include better ones when I receive the coins back.

IMG_8229.jpgIMG_8228.jpg

i will definitely show the reverses! Looking forward to it. I'm just waiting for them to come home, and I'll post some good pics.... of BOTH sides. promise!

i will definitely show the reverses! Looking forward to it. I'm just waiting for them to come home, and I'll post some good pics.... of BOTH sides. promise!

Im marking this thread so don't leave us hanging!

Holy , did you get lucky! Looking at retail for the half, and Coin Values merely says "--." 66CAM is $2500, so I'm thinking $3500-$4000? Had I bought it, they'd all be hairlined 62s and 63s.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is the 1951 mint set so expensive? Which coin in that set commands a significant premium over melt?

Proof set, not a mint set. Coin Values puts the value of a typical 1951 proof set between $600 and $800.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is the 1951 mint set so expensive? Which coin in that set commands a significant premium over melt?

Its because there were only 57,500 or so of those set produced that year.

-Chris#2

Its because there were only 57,500 or so of those set produced that year.

-Chris#2

Thx. Figured there was a good reason.

Congrats. My Father has a set of all Proof sets 1951-1964 and I dont think any of those coins are as nice as this set. Can't wait to see the real pics!

Was it an auction that ended in the middle of the night? I was the underbidder on an auction for a 1951 set about that long ago.

I honestly don't remember. It might have been in the night. I do remember that there were 2 51 proof sets up for auction at the time. I was comparing to see how the other one ended and if I overbid on mine.

If it was you, I apologize if my thread comes across a little insulting. That's not the right word. Can't think of it. What I mean is, I mean no disrespect by my postings on here especially with the possible underbidder reading this thread.

All my best

- Charlie