• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 CC - Care to Grade Her

19 posts in this topic

This has been the most difficult coin to photograph. She has massive cartwheel action which makes areas too bright while other areas dark. She certainly beams with luster. She has not been sent in for grading but asking for your learned thoughts. Can anyone guess tha Vam? Will let you know in a few days.

Thanx

Chet

111249.jpg.85d1c3dc9e085e59d3a0562ddee9a60d.jpg

111250.jpg.cdae9fbd2ff4104d4ffa814a0894a259.jpg

I was going to suggest the VAM-8, too, but the obverse photo is too dark to tell if the dash is under the 2nd "8".

Chris

I was going to suggest the VAM-8, too, but the obverse photo is too dark to tell if the dash is under the 2nd "8".

Chris

This is the one I was looking at Chris.

1883-CC VAM-8 Doubled Date, CC Set Right

Of course when I zoom in, I can't see any doubling of the date or dash under the eight. It may just be a slanted CC.

Knowing I did not provide any close-up, here are several clues to assist in vamming her.

Clashed N (neck), dash under second 8, Lip/nose clash, spiked wing. Others however can be seen in the photo. Good luck.

Chet

1883 CC is known for above average to bold strike. This coin shows weakness in the central areas, above the ear and the reverse breast. Nice clean fields obverse and reverse. Looks like this Morgan is in a GSA holder.

Don't see a dash under the second eight.

I'll go MS64 and VAM 3A.

$ilverHawk

This has been the most difficult coin to photograph. She has massive cartwheel action which makes areas too bright while other areas dark. She certainly beams with luster. She has not been sent in for grading but asking for your learned thoughts. Can anyone guess tha Vam? Will let you know in a few days.

Thanx

Chet

I'm leaning towards MS65, but I could see it in a MS64+ holder.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I got her by trading 2 of my original GSA's (1883's) plus getting some cash to boot. Found I never really took much interest in those which were quite baggy or were not special vams (and those traded were beat bad).

She should grade 65 but know on a tough day, could be 64+. Just what everyone said. At 64, it's an "even" deal. At 65, it good! Either way, I have a coin I like and enjoy having. An ideal coin for us who purchase raw with only up-side potential.

As for the vam, she is a 4A.

Chet

As for the vam, she is a 4A.

Chet

Well, next time give us better photos! J/K

I think you made a nice trade, Chet.

Chris