• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There is a lot of reasons I collect Buffalo Nickels. Here's one right now...

9 posts in this topic

This coin was given to me long ago from a friend of my father who was a collector and worked at the Denver mint. I was told it was a trial strike and it sure looks as it may be, but how would a guy know for sure? This is one of the coins I've had since I was a snot nosed kid...Joe

144.jpg

145.jpg

Here's a 1916 that has a striking similarity...

138.jpg

139-1.jpg

Coins are quite similar in strike. Love the color, Joe. Great you still have this coin, as it obviously holds a place in your heart and mind.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Its kind of hard to tell just from those pics if the top one is a trial strike. The bottom one is definitely not - its a normal looking coin. I would forward the pics of the first one to Fred Weinberg (at fredweinberg.com) and ask him - he is one of the foremost error dealers.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Those are not trial strikes - just shabby quality control.

Those are not trial strikes - just shabby quality control.

Thanks for the reply David, I feel honored. I have your book and just love it. My dad was a BIG collector and sold real estate in Palo Alto California where I grew up. The 1928-D was given to me from a customer of my dad who bought a house and worked at the Denver mint before he moved to Calif. this coin was from his collection, from what I can remember. I feel a little silly even commenting on this coin as being a trial strike, but this was a childhood memory I thought I would share.

But while were on the subject and you've chimed in, how would a guy know for sure if it was or wasn't a trial strike? Just wondering? Thanks again David....Joe

This is my other one...

126.jpg

135.jpg

But while were on the subject and you've chimed in, how would a guy know for sure if it was or wasn't a trial strike? Just wondering? Thanks again David....Joe

One thing is for sure.........this is definitely not a trial strike.

Chris

111129.jpg.1b221a5ce6c30bce45539149c91df050.jpg