• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1780-KM Siberian (Russian) 10 Kopecks

9 posts in this topic

Here is my latest addition to my world coin collection. It is a 1780-KM Siberian (Russian) 10 Kopecks.

It is rather massive in size. I believe it is 46MM in diameter (it looks like if pushing it, it could fit in an NGC slab). It's quite thick and weights 68.17 grams (appx. 2.4 ounces). The rims are nice and not dinged, the surfaces are rather clean, and there is only a couple of small areas where the planchet is less than ideal. It has a nice even appealing brown color.

1780siberia10k.jpg

Rev: Value in crowned shield supported by sables. Obv: Crowned -script E II in a wreath.

Struck from 1763-1781 during the reign of Catherine II (The Great). The 1780 date is one of the rarer dates in this series. It catalogs at $245 in XF and is unlisted in higher grades.

I purchased it becuase it is just a really cool looking coin! thumbsup2.gif

I found this coin on a local bid board. I had never seen one before and it jumped out at me. The fact that it isn't a standard Russian coin and is Siberian (minted for ALL the regular series from 1766 to 1781 with known pieces dated 1763 & 1764) was a huge plus for me.

it would be interesting to know what criteria a grading service would use in grading it.

I'm going to send it in to NGC for grading since I am curious. While I don't believe they will slab it due to its size, they will issue a grade insert and seal it in a flip. I'm estimating that it comes back mid-AU range.

I've noticed your fondness for the huge Russian coppers, how many does this make? Certainly makes you feel like you got something for your money.

Nice coin!

-JamminJ

I sold the other massive ones, but I've got quite a few smaller Russian coppers. Most have a wonderful blue toning covering the surfaces.

Looks much more like a medal than a coin! Nice acquisition Greg! thumbsup2.gif Can you imagine the worth of an American copper in that kind of condition from that period? 893whatthe.gif

Hoot