• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glad to be in the Sunshine State

27 posts in this topic

Hello and thanks to everyone who have made my transition to Florida such a pleasant and enjoyable one.

I wanted to sign in and let you know that I look forward to all of your inquiries and hope to provide you with the best numismatic information that you've come to expect from myself and NGC. As a team, we look forward to providing you with the finest quality results, from the grading of your coins to the service we can provide on these boards. We understand that sharing our knowledge makes the entire industry a better place for all numismatists, and as such, our intention is to provide you with the best information you can find.

Thank you again for your warm reception and kind words. I look forward to making many new friends and reacquainting with some old ones.

Rick

Hope your transition to Florida went well and have a great Holiday Season.

One quick question (I guess two) - How do you think you will impact the NGC family and how will NGC be different or the same one year from now?

Todd

Welcome aboard. Hope that you will be a frequenter of these boards like many of the other NGC staff have been so far and that you will continue to be able to share your knowledge with us.

Rick: You were very helpful to me on a couple occasions while you were with PCGS. I look forward to that same level of commitment at NGC. Welcome aboard.

Hey Rick, welcome to your new home!

I wish you had finished getting the Type 2 Ikes attributed before you left CA though!

If you still have some pull back at PCGS it'd be nice if you could nudge someone... PCGS still has the samples of the coins I sent you. Unless you brought them with you to Florida? smile.gif

Best of luck in the sunshine state.

You didn't think there was enough sunshine in Newport Beach?! tongue.gif

When you have the chance, please explain why NGC doesn't have a certified registry for Philippine and other coins of color.

That's a white coin with a multicultural facade, and you know it.

I'm talking about real coins of color with a different cultural heritage-- like coins from the Philippines. Their positive contributions to American numismatic history have been overlooked for too long.

[Edited to add: DANG, that's a nice reverse!]

Thanks to all of your replies and best wishes. I wanted to address a couple of the questions and comments along this thread.

To Todd--I think that you can expect more of the same high quality that you've come to know from NGC. This might sound like a football cliche, but my immediate goal is to "learn the system" and then contribute to what is already a great team. We strive to make NGC your all purpose, go-to certification company, so in that regard, I believe that NGC will continue to build on its accomplishments and provide you and all collectors and dealers with the finest in numismatic certification.

To Spooly--Good to see you here! The Registry will be a main focus of mine and I look forward to working with you and many of the other registrants in creating the most exciting and active registry. And yes, we'll be looking at those "variety only" registries as well.

To Collectosaurus--I passed through the decontamination chamber with flying colors.

CDR--You can expect that I will conduct myself in the same helpful manner. When you run into a situation, don't hesitate to call.

Matt--I have been given a great opportunity to work with a dynamic company with such a bright and positive future as well as reconnect and be close to so many family members.

Mitch--Look forward to rekindling our relationship. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Rick

Now that you're at NGC, are we going to see stricter standards on the 70 grades? Ever since you have left PCGS, the 70 grades have been literally been pouring out. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad, but will the 70 grade be a lot more stricter at NGC then they are now? Thanks.

It's a little odd for a person whose handle is PQSeated to give a darn about 70's.

I'm not knocking you or your question; it's just that your question threw me for a loop...

BTW, I think NGC has been plenty tough on the 70 grade wrt the Seated series. smile.gif

EVP

PQ Seated,

Welcome to our boards. If you've read a few of Rick's posts take note of the part where he has basically said he is not at NGC to influence or change the existing NGC grading standard, but to adhere to it. Also, IMO, the NGC standard for 70 is best described as realistic and tougher than most other services standard for that grade. As for 70 grades pouring out of our closest competitor, I can't comment intelligently but I would think there are enough members who submit on our board to make observations of late and in the coming months on that subject.

John

You don't plan on slabbing "death coins" from the WTC now are you? That has got me riled up lately, and I think PCGS should be ashamed of their involvment there, and nothing would tick me off more than to expand the program over on this side of the street.

I'm mostly a PCGS guy I'll admit. EVP, I love seated coins and moderns. I'm a man of many interests. As for the 70 grades at NGC, I do agree that they are realistic. PCGS for quite some time was giving out virtually no 70s. It's just that ever since the honorable Rick has left, many 70s have been appearing. I should probably stick to just classic coins. smile.gif

It seems as if the other company has the monopoly on death coins. And it's great that RMontgomery is posting here. Everyone is better informed with experienced opinions.

Welcome and Happy Holidays.

Hi PQ,

What Seated do you collect, and in what grades? Do you specialize?

My specialty is dollars, and preferably in MS/UNC where realistic and/or sensible.

(I'd have PM'ed you instead, but I'm not sure you're comfy yet with the PM function here.)

EVP

jtryka--

Man, I couldn't agree with you more...!!! Anyone! willing to shell out hard-earned dollars for a 'souvenir' of a tragedy really gets my! blood boiling!!! mad.gif

Yet one more! reason I continue to sell my PCGS-slabbed coins... mad.gif

How do you send PMs? I mainly collect seated dimes and quarters. I try to get AU whenever possible. However, sometimes I just can't afford them in higher grades. My seated quarter collection is coming along nicely. They're just so hard to find for me in the affordable grades. My seated dime collection is rather small. I'm trying to build it up. I think it's a fun series. smile.gif Someday, I want to start a nice collection of Trade Dollars.