• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hot Springs ATB 5 ounce release date (and now price) announced by Mint

13 posts in this topic

For those who are interested, the mint's website is listing the release date for this first numismastic version as being April 28th. According to CoinNews.net "The US Mint on Tuesday said the pricing for the numismatic Hot Springs National Park 5 oz Silver Uncirculated Coin would be set at $279.95."

Let's take a wild guess. If you figure we were paying approximately $200/coin for the ciculated versions and you figure spot at approximately $40/ounce; then figure in the Mint's profit/mark-up, we have to be looking at about $299.95 or $349.95 per issue. That's my guess (guesses?). Whatdyathink?

I thought the 5ounce rounds (not coins) were only being sold through third parties and not the mint themselves. Did something change?

btw, you can already buy slabbed ones on the feaBay.

Hey there. I'll try to summarize and folks can forgive me if I get any of the details wrong but, essentially:

The mint released the bullion versions of the ATB 5 ounce pucks to approved distributors..I believe the number was 33,000 of each coin/park. These have mostly now been released/sold by the vendors and are what you'll see at shows or find online (eBay).

The Mint has produced a numismatic version of the ATB 5 ouncers. They've announced the mintage as 27,000 of each coin/park. Originally, according to the mint, these were to be sold to the public starting in the first quarter of 2011. Yesterday, they announced the first numismatic piece (Hot Springs) will go on sale on April 28th. So, it appears we can conclude that the mint will be offering these on 5 different days. The price they'll charge (for both the pucks and shipping) is anybody's guess. Hope this helps.....

Mark

Yes, you can buy "raw" or slabbed on eBay....just be aware they are NOT the numismatic version (which will carry a P mintmark). Since the last few distributors finally sold their pucks in the last two weeks, you may have noticed prices coming down some.

One important aspect is the mint selling the numismatic 5-ouncers individually rather than as sets of five, opposite to how the previous sales of the bullion version went.

Perhaps the first day of sales of the Hot Springs may not be such a hot affair since the individual design illustration is considered unattractive compared to the other four. If it does sell out fairly quickly, that could be due mostly to the novelty of being the first one available.

Since the numismatic version was described as sandblasted, will that treatment reduce the details and sharpness of the designs? Might the bullion versions be better struck and end up being considered more desirable to collectors?

Delt:

Interesting thoughts..... I believe that the Hot Springs puck will sell-out very quickly (as well as all five issues). In fact, I'm guessing that the Mint's website is going to be a mess on the 28th.

There's plenty of speculation ATS that the "sandblasted" finish may eliminate any chance of Cameo/DMPL finishes. I guess we wait and see (like everything else associated with these rascals). I think it would be unreal if the bullion versions ended-up being the sought-after version......... You going to try to buy a numismatic set?

M

With a mintage of only 27,000 I would expect the 2010 collector versions to sell out. Especially since they are staggering the releases. This will let more people with smaller budgets into the competition since they don't have to come up with the money for all five at the same time.

Well it's a little less than I predicted. I guessed $1500 for a set of five, this would be $1400. And it is still about the same as what the distributor wanted for them back in December when everyone complained about how they were ripping people off. (Yes I admit sillver is a little high now than in December.)