• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyers Beware, Mexican Silver Coinage.

8 posts in this topic

I purchased this lot of 39 Mexican silver coins on ebay 3/24/11. The years were supposed to be 1950-54, 27 7/9 grams each, .720 pure silver. I got the coins in today and noticed they looked a bit thin, no side lettering, and they all looked the same. 37/39 of them were 1951, one was 1953 (with side lettering), and the last was a 1968 olympic 25 pesos (no side letteing) . I decided to weight the 37 1951 coins and they weighed in at 17.8 grams not 27.8 grams. Rut-Roh!!

Right now I'm assuming they are all fakes, I'm not sure if they are 72% silver. I contacted the seller tonight and I'm waiting on a response.

Has anyone here ran into fake Mexican silver? I will let you all know what happens with the seller. He has 99.7% positive feedback, so I'm hoping everything will work out.

Here are a few pics. The middle coin in the first pic is the one 1953. The other four are 1951.

Photo_58878010-1D83-5B76-6ECE-08D2B228AAD5.jpg

WP_000154.jpg

WP_000153.jpg

I hope that you used PayPal? They should help you recover your money if you yell loud enough. Good Luck.

Yes, I used Paypal. I'm in the middle of getting it resolved right now. I contacted the seller 3 times via email and phone messaging. I finally caught him on the phone my fourth try. I told him the problem with the weight and he didn't seem shocked at all. No questions asked he told me to return the coins. I find it hard to believe he didn't know they were fakes. Complete waste of my time and money.

Thanks Jaime. I recieved my payment back today.

With the price of silver climbing, I have a feeling there are many of these coins out there. It's a scary thought, but I wouldn't doubt the Chinese are making fake ASE's. Makes me double guess all of my previous ebay silver purchases.

Beware guys.

Well, at least you are prepared with a scale to do some comparison. I have collected Mexican silver for a long time, and knowing the proper specifications (like not using reeded edges on these coins) is also a big help! Glad to hear it worked out ok for you though.