• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Castaing machine applied the lettered edge to bust half-dollar, but what...

8 posts in this topic

The edge lettering machine isn't used for proof presidential dollars, interestingly enough. Instead, the Mint uses a three piece collar and the edge lettering is incused at the time of striking.

Edge lettering is therefore consistent from coin to coin on these. It is always in the same position, always oriented the same way (and not random to obverse and reverse sides, as it is on other coins).

Does anyone know which method was used on the UHR's? I ask because one of mine has very insignificant marks on the rim face which I think is from the edge lettering machine. It is graded 69FS but I think these marks, as mint-made, should not matter. Unless, of course, the three-piece collar edge lettering was used.

Lance.

Yes Lance, the UHR's had a 3 piece collar. (thumbs u

.....just like the original Saint Gauden's double eagles from 1907 to 1933. If you look at the edge, you can see the raised vertical lines where the collar segments come together.

Yes Lance, the UHR's had a 3 piece collar. (thumbs u

.....just like the original Saint Gauden's double eagles from 1907 to 1933. If you look at the edge, you can see the raised vertical lines where the collar segments come together.

Ah-so. Indeed. Thanks!

Lance.

2009UHRrawside.jpg

8:20 into the documentary the narrator called it an "embossing machine" but that may very well be poetic licensing for TV