• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Releases posted by walnutto

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just what does Early Releases label offer??

Let me first state that I am not against the "Early Releases" label but I do not understand why we need it at all.

I could see it when it was just the Silver Eagles and how some collectors want just that label or collect every label that exists.

So... as a collector...do we collect the coin or the grading company or the label? Does anyone really care if they get an Early Release nickel or Presidential dollar when there is no extra points given to those.

For me, I'd much rather have all my collection the same. I see no value of Early Releases especially when the previous coins were just regular labels. I know NGC charges more for a few extra letters on the label. That makes sense when they offered First Day Issue because of the tight deadline to submit and there are more points offered as well. But...all in all.. doesn't matter if the coin has the label Early Releases or First Day Issue, most of the coins were all minted about the same time.

I still buy the coin not the label type as long as its from NGC. In hundred years, will anyone really care or will it matter if it was Early Releases?

See more journals by walnutto

They offer nothing...but to trick collectors into buying a label instead of a coin.

The "Early Release" and "First Strike" labels are marketing ploys by grading companies. The US Mint has never and does not release any coins earlier then the official release date. I do own a couple of these labels but only to have an example of different types of labels that are used for my collection. I am still trying to figure out why there is a premium for these labeled coins... (shrug)

For some reason I always figured that the ones that were labeled as "early release" were the coins that were removed from the annual Uncirc sets and sent in prior to the dates that they were scheduled to be released. My 2011 P nd D sets contain all 4 of the president dollars for the 2011 year, long before the listed "release date".

My take is that they represent a low initial release. Like a low serial number on a bill. I could argue the same point you are on early release label for a toned Morgan but I understand there are people that die for them so the market exist. Just like everyone here collects different coins. Some coins I like and some I just don't "get" it.

Early Releases is a representation of the initial release and all that it implies.

Next .........

I never cared too much for all the Early Releases, First Strikes, & First Day Issues. But I did start acquiring a few this year. I traded a Silver Eagle for a President set that was all First Day Issues. I have had a hard time locating coins to upgrade or even fill slots for this set. I do have some respect for the people that hunt forever to fill all slots with these coins, it would be so much easier to build a regular slab set.

HAPPY COIN COLLECTING

Howdy Friends,

As I understand it the "Early Releases" designation refers to coins turned in for grading during the first 30 days following issue by the mint. If a coin you submit falls outside the 30 day requirement it cannot receive the Early Release designation. 2011 is the first year ER labels have been available on all coins that meet the 30 day requirement so many are collecting them for that reason.

Larry

Doing a little research on the "early release/First Strike" a year or so ago I found this out. Lets use the Proof SAE and the number 500,000 minted coins as an example. The US Mint might have half of these coins minted before the release date and ready to ship on that given date. They are not stored or shipped in any type of order based on which coin was minted first. The first coin minted could be the #200,000 shipped. This was pretty much stated by the Mint in the lawsuit against NGC on the "First Strike" label.

Remember...the US Mint does not "early release" any coin. They are for sale on the date officially stated on their web site.

Early Release/ First Strike as nothing to do with the US Mint. It is all about when you send your coin to NGC to get graded. For example, If I order and receive 5 SAEs from the US Mint, then I send 1 SAE to NGC in their stated window to receive and early release label...that coin gets it. Then I wait till after that submission window closes, then send the other 4 coins to get graded,they do not get that designation. There is no difference between any of those 5 coins. It is all about NGC and when you submit your coins.

I hope this helps some.

Also...Hi Mike...good to see ya posting.... :hi:

Early releases are ordinary coins, no different than later releases that speculators promote

to the unsophisticated buyer at a significant markup. That's why you see early releases touted so heavily on shopping channels and in non-numismatic magazine ads. I wish

both PCGS and NGC would do a service to the hobby and quit endorsing that kind of

promotion. In the long run, it will do more harm to the hobby and ultimately to their

respective reservations. IMHO.

[...] I wish both PCGS and NGC would do a service to the hobby and quit endorsing that kind of promotion. In the long run, it will do more harm to the hobby [...]

Amen to that!

I have 1 early release and 5 first strike coins in my collection. But the only reason I have them is because they were the cheapest of those types and dates I could get shipped to NZ. I would NEVER pay a premium for the slab.