• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Nerve of this guy ATS.. If anyone else asked for help I would in a heartbeat

37 posts in this topic

To Frank

Yes the code is unique to the slab/serial number, but who says I'm only going to make one counterfeit slab? Make a halfdozen for each and sell through different venues.

To Joe

Not a problem I simply go through the sale in order so the codes in my reader are in the same order. If I only want to view certain lots, it is a simple matter to keep notes of the lots and the order I viewed them. Matching up codes to coins then becomes a simple matter. The only problem would be noting which lots had the old holders without the RFID chips which could throw your order off. I'm sure it can be accounted for though. It would make it harder on the counterfeiters though if the RFID chip was not visible and the style of the holders was not changed visibly from the previous style when the chips were introduced.

My opinion on the subject is that I find it very difficult to understand WHY folks need to pay a "Political Action Committee" (PAC) to hire a Professional Lobbyist (read expensive party animal) just to get Congress to "ENFORCE" existing laws?

I find it difficult to understand why the FTC has not contacted eBay to "enforce" existing counterfeiting laws for coins sold from China.

I also find it difficult to understand why Chinese Counterfeiter Web Sites (we all know who they are) are allowed in the US.

I fully understand that Chinese Counterfeit coins in Counterfeit PCGS Slabs are a problem but isn't this supposed to be addressed by the Federal Trade Commission? How did Gucci address this problem?

I guess until I fully understand whose responsibility the enforcement of US Counterfeiting Laws with regard to Coins belongs to, I won't be sending any money to support a PAC which hires a Professional Lobbyist to sweet talk some Congressman/Congresswoman into actually doing his job.

Sadly the Federal Government has other priorities which dictate WHICH Federal laws it is going to enforce. This has been true of both political parties, and it seems that one needs PACs, lobbyists and other influence peddlers to get anything done, even when your cause is just and the statures are already on the books. We already know what it’s like the immigration laws, but I’ll go no further with comment.

what I don't understand is why

" Congressman Lamar Smith, the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee"

needs a fundraiser in order for him to do his job.

maybe I do understand.

maybe I do understand.

Hi stranger, good to see you posting over here. ;)

Even the churches are teaching that greed is good now. It is a pretty sad commentary on our country that we have become what was once our antithesis (Europe) and money, political pull and personal status decide whether you get the benefits and protection of citizenship or not. We are in big trouble when we have to pay a PAC to get an elected Pol to do his job. JMHO.

Frank, I agree as a retired engineer, it would not be a big deal or cost, to place an RFID chip in the opaque plastic of a slab for each coin. I would pay the extra money, at least for coins which are classics, to have this chip embedded in the slab. It would be the death of this hobby if China started copying each collectable registered coin (without unique ID) with a counterfeit and flooded the market with these spurious coins.

Now that China has been given status a a preferred trading partner nation, they are not going to play the game fairly because they did not play fairly to get that status in the first place.

maybe I do understand.

The Fund Raiser is for the PAC yet folks are still encouraged to contribute to Lamar Smith's re-election campaign chest. Two separate yet needed entities.

So the question(s) should be "Why is a PAC needed to get a US Congressman to do his Job? and Why will this take multiple terms to accomplish?"

It seems simple enough to contact the Chinese Government and let them know that even though the Chinese take great pride in being able to duplicate old US coinage, its still a threat to the US economy and considered counterfeiting.