• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Sample Slabs have any investment value

9 posts in this topic

OK I really love sample slabs, but do they have any investment value.

Weather It's PCGS, NGC or others, I am not in the market to sell my Samples, but it is still comforting to know that what your are collecting has some kind of value.

Please I could use some opinions here.

Thanks everyone

Alan

They do command a slight to moderate premium. Especially, if they are a sample of an older or less common slab. The trouble here is that they have a VERY small market sector of niche collectors who are willing to pay a hefty premium for them. You may do well if you find the right buyer. Premiums could be anywhere from 10 to even 100% all depending on the SCARCITY of the slab and finding the right buyer at any point in time and the coin (let's not forget) contained within. They are cool curiosity pieces and I would hold on to them. Prices wildly fluxuate on any given day. Hope this helps.

Sample slabs are fun to collect but I would not consider them as an investment. Treat them like you would any hobby, have fun with them but don't count on making a profit or even getting your money back out of them. You might, just don't count on it.

Sample slabs would be a fun set to put together, and a tough one at that. First more research is needed to build the set requirements. I know Cameron Kiefer had done a lot of the leg work but samples are constantly distributed at shows and that research has to be an ongoing project. This is such a thin market I don't see much upside potential. But there is definitely a coolness factor.

Right now, IMO the best way to play the slab market is with the slab varieties themselves. Conder101 has the set requirements in his book and the collecting of older slabs has become quite popular, and high premiums do already exist on some.

Good luck with your set what ever path you take.

Thank you all for such insightful advice.

I will never sell my slabs I consider it a challenging hobby to collect them.

Lets face it if they were easy to find what would be the fun.

But I thought I would put the question out there for the sake of rely knowing.

I have read Cameron Kiefer wedsite and the work of Conder101, on his website.

Both have done an amazing amount of researchers and there knowledge on the

collecting sample slabs is incredible.

After I bought my first sample slab, I read both, and from that point on I was hooked. I have been very lucky and have acquired a few rare slabs, but now the search go on. I plan on collecting sample slabs for as long as they out there, I find them to be great fun to collect and wonderful to own.

Again thank you all for the advice

All the Best

Alan

I am going to get some sample slabs from someone I know. However I don't look at them as investment but something to get for fun and for trading fodder.

I have 1920 and 1929 Lincoln cent PCGS sample slabs. I have no use for them. If someone really needs one or both PM me with your address.

Lance.