• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there Ratings/Value of Coins in Genny slabs by NGC/PCGS/ANACS

16 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there was a scalevalue of 1st genny slabs from NGC, I think the Black one is the key, but down know the % of value..

PCGS the small slab without PCGS on the front label and it is black on the back spelling Professional Coin Grading Services, I think that is 1st genny and so on..

Is there a website or coin book with slab value? thanks

Slab collecting seems to be in its infancy (or at least I hope it becomes more popular)!

From what I can tell, most (or, almost all) coin collectors don't seem to care about old slab styles, except for the black NGC slab and the Doily PCGS slab.

I've been able to pick up a number of old (2.0 to 3.5) PCGS styles for the cost of the coin. Old NGC slabs seem to be rarer on the bourse floor, but I do see them for the cost of the coin, too.

There are a couple of members ATS who are into old slabs, perhaps they have more complete answers.

I was wondering if there was a scalevalue of 1st genny slabs from NGC, I think the Black one is the key, but down know the % of value..

PCGS the small slab without PCGS on the front label and it is black on the back spelling Professional Coin Grading Services, I think that is 1st genny and so on..

Condor101 is the go to guy on this one. I understand that he wrote a book but I have never seen it. I believe it is about slabs but not sure. He put together a great post about 3 yrs ago on NGC slabs:

Slab History

Don't know of any other books on the subject with actual SLAB value alone but this article is very interesting. I like older slabs but wouldn't pay a huge premium for them. I like coins better than plastic. They are really very cool and nostalgic, though, and make a REALLY GOOD coin even more appealing if you can get one for a reasonable price.

Conder101's book on the history of slabs is terrific, but I don't think it had any opinions as to the value of the various slabs and the book itself is getting somewhat long in the tooth since it must have been published back in 2003.

No, no opinions on value. As mentioned the number of collectors of slabs is very small. (and unfortunately a great many of the older rare slabs and certificates will probaly be gone before they are appreciated.) The black NGC is valuable. Several of the other NGC slabs are very scarce to rare but would probably only bring a premium from a knowledgable slab collector.

Among PCGS slabs the Doilie slab is popular and very scarce, but if you can find one you can usually get it with very little premium. The big money items in the PCGS slabs are the Regency slab and the counterfeit rattler slab.

There no slabs from SEGS that currently bring a premium, the same goes for ICG.

There is some interest in the ANACS certificates. (Some of these are very scarce) I don't think any of the slabs bring a premium.

PCI slabs are common except for the recent one that imitates the first small size PCI slab.

I brought Conder101's NGC slab history thread back up to the top, but I couldn't find the PCGS thread.

I think you can still find it ATS. Please let me know if you'd like me to bring it to the top over there (if I can), of it someone can find it here and bring it to the top, I'd appreciate it.

I have seen some local brick and mortar shops selling old holders for a 25% premium, but that seems too steep. I'm sure you could use eBay as a guide. I have seen coins in NGC black holders (that were in fairness solid for the grade) sell for double book value, but I would assume that would be the exception and not the rule.

I brought Conder101's NGC slab history thread back up to the top, but I couldn't find the PCGS thread.

I think you can still find it ATS. Please let me know if you'd like me to bring it to the top over there (if I can), of it someone can find it here and bring it to the top, I'd appreciate it.

Here you go--

The last 3 links are broken. Still very educational.

PCGS Slab History

What year did PCGS change from the green label to blue?
From Condor's slab history post: "PCGS 6 In Nov of 98 PCGS dropped the green label in favor of the current light blue"

Lance.

From Condor's slab history post: "PCGS 6 In Nov of 98 PCGS dropped the green label in favor of the current light blue"

Lance.

Conder101 did not realize it at the time and I told him later on, but the blue insert was introduced just a hair before that approximation. I had purchased a raw 1892 Columbian commem the first week of September, 1998 and sent it to PCGS for grading. The coin was back from PCGS in October, 1998 in a brand spanking new blue insert holder. It was the first blue insert holder any of us had seen up to that point.

Lance.

Conder101 did not realize it at the time and I told him later on, but the blue insert was introduced just a hair before that approximation. I had purchased a raw 1892 Columbian commem the first week of September, 1998 and sent it to PCGS for grading. The coin was back from PCGS in October, 1998 in a brand spanking new blue insert holder. It was the first blue insert holder any of us had seen up to that point.

Tom, I just received my coin today and my color of my genny PCGS slab looks a off blue color also, can someone else look up the number for me to verify what I have? I did but wanted to make sure I am reading what is written..

06702.65/2061120 thanks, Again the back reads as follows.

Professional.

Coin.

Grading.

Service.

Just looked up cert# to verify coin.. The coin number was 6702. So, that should be one of the first slabs released right. I do believe PCGS missed this one in PR CAM. It has PR 65 on the label.. Both sides great mirrors and frost on all parts of die strikes. No doubt.. I have another 1961 the just missed Cam and the reason on the reverse AME in the word America is not frosted.. So, the coin sure rattles like 2nd genny slabs I own with PCGS coins inside..

Thanks Everyone.

In a sort of blue/green label on the reverse on the obverse light blue/greenish.

thanks George

The 6702 is an identifier for the coin series, it doesn't tell you anything about when the slab was released.

Boy I feel dumb now.. I am in trying to collect old slabs..

I am a Gold coin collector and mainly have many raw and recent NGC/PCGS..thanks Condor.

I have heard many old slabs at PCGS has been graded safely back then and a lot of Franklins will upgrade and even get Cams if they missed them before thanks. G

Sellers of coins in old PCGS holders (i.e., rattlers, green labels) often promote the notion that these coins were slabbed in an era when grading standards were higher. Perhaps. Their intent, of course, is to get better prices and/or sell quickly.

Many collectors agree that those coins with upgrade potential have already been tried or are in collectors' hands who are not selling.

Don't rely a coin in an old slab upgrading. Use your knowledge and eyes to make the judgment.

One real benefit to coins in these old holders is that they are probably stable. Side affects from doctoring would likely have appeared by now.

Lance.