• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are my photography skills getting better?

17 posts in this topic

Ok I keep trying and trying to get better and I think I am but I would like your honest opinions.

Here is my PF69 Ucam 2009 1/10th Krugerrand the first two photos were taken 2 days ago

110353.jpg.c59bed2d6d7d4c3633a96cb4b7adaaa8.jpg

110354.jpg.5bc0585b022b5611656b897e319ca6e8.jpg

I'll say two things...first, I s*ck at imaging. Second, they look pretty damned good...I THINK on your first image, the white balance could be adjusted (some of you real imaging guys correct me if I'm wrong...as, I said, I stink at imaging, not just bad, but I stink). But, I've seen enough people showing their skills as they progress, and I've seen it before,, but the first image may have a white balance issue. BUT, the second looks great (do you have the cam on a stand or freehanding it?)...the 2nd looks just a tad blurred, but I think overall you are doing a very good job. (I guess coming from one who just 'points and shoots', or uses a loupe against the lens for close-up shots, it COULD be considered an insult...lol). Next step, getting it so you just see the tiniest piece of prong.

Keep up the great work, and keep us posted on your advancing images!!!

edited....as I look at the first image, perhaps it's the light angle, or lighting you use, as I just noticed you can see the light, or something reflecting in the coin.....so, listen to me when I say you're doing a good job, but ignore the rest...;)

Yeah the light angle on the first ones was bad. The second set were taken with more direct natural light as I have only a very basic camera and no lighting gear.

I haven't even looked at adjusting any tones or colours yet. The only thing I have done is crop and adjust the size to fit.

Oh and I think that is me you can see in the coin.

Here is another of my coins. The first two photos were taken with natural light and the second two with artificial (the top shelf of our pantry is like a light box).

110362.jpg.4400cdcc7ed1922ac8e4aeef319f3636.jpg

110363.jpg.d231ccf57dc1b21c34f22cd2d21ac252.jpg

110364.jpg.72c355df41fbc2575f314e2fa3fe8a5e.jpg

110365.jpg.780ec2b2bae66e84e4f9ec742b250a20.jpg

Pics aren't looking too bad. The last set of proofs are still out of focus. If you're using a macro mode then u still may need to back up a little to gain a better focus. The bottom coin posted (1942 5cents) needs more lighting and is out of focus. It looks to have some nice toning so you may need to work with your lights to bring them out more.

I just looked up the specs for the camera you're using (Kodak EasyShare CX7430), and one thing that's going to get in your way is a preset white balance mode. This is not to be confused with the automatic white balance mode you are using and should NOT use for shooting coins, as it invariably messes up the color while trying to correct it. Note how pink the background of the Newfoundland 5c shot is. Instead, use the setting that is appropriate for your light source. On the positive side, your camera can focus fairly close in telephoto mode (8.7 inches), so you are able to get good magnification without a severe working distance problem. Make sure you get focus confirmation (the focus framing brackets turn red) when pressing the shutter release half way before pressing it the rest of the way. No need to use digital zoom, as that doesn't do anything useful that can't be done in post-processing.

In all the pictures, your lighting is immovable (daylight, or ambient room light) and the camera is movable (handheld). You want the opposite. For less than $50, you can solve your lighting and support issues. Two small desklamps will do the trick. With a camera that does not have a custom preset white balance, I hesitate to recommend compact fluorescents, as they may not be a match to the existing white balance modes of the camera. You may be better off with small incandescent lamps (although halogens will be very hot that close). WalMart sells a tripod for $30 that will work well with your camera, as your camera is not heavy. Once you have the camera on a tripod, use the self-timer, which will give you a 10 second delay, which is plenty of time to allow the movement of the camera from pressing the shutter release to dampen. Finally, set the ISO to the lowest number (80) and you'll get a sharper picture. You probably wouldn't be able to do this with the camera hand-held, as the exposure time would be too long, and the auto-exposure mode of the camera would want to increase the ISO setting to shorten the exposure, but would introduce noise into the picture in the process. Now that the camera has a stable support, you don't have to worry about longer exposures.

Brilliant advice, thanks. I have learnt more about my camera in the last couple of minutes than I had in the last 6 years that I have owned it. I do have a little tripod for it but I had never though of using the timer mode doh!

Here are my last shots of the day as it is 03.55 in the morning and I should really get some sleep.

110376.jpg.5d1f259d2fa742e51b8f977a88263f79.jpg

110377.jpg.a428292a42e49ba640dab8e1ad90161b.jpg

Focus looks much better. Lighting is still off as in from side to side. You'll notice it's a little darker on the bottom than it is the top. It takes alot of time, patience, and shots before you ever get it where you want. Looks like you're progressing with each one tho'.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I have the focus licked so I just need to get some lamps so I can stop standing on a step ladder in our panrty to take photos.

OK here are the last two I will post in this. The colour is starting to come through but I won't get the lighting right till I buy some lamps. The thing is do I want to spend money on lighting or more coins? For me aslong as the coins are in ok focus I will be happy.

110401.jpg.8c6d840a37a39641c40b514070444a07.jpg

110402.jpg.c70202f980129f0e88878124aa04dde3.jpg

Don't forget the post-processing element. You should have good software that allows adjustments to your pictures.

I'm on a Mac so I use a couple of different apps. Most folks with PC's are happy with Photoshop.

I've heard some guys pooh-pooh this stage, and proudly boast "no manipulation". Nonsense. Your camera already manipulates images internally, including such tweaks as adjusting sharpness.

Your job is absolutely to manipulate the photos until they resemble the coin (or, maybe, your perspective since coins look differently "depending").

Your photos have gotten better and better. And I'm sure you know some other things you need to do (lighting, e.g.). But if take your best ones, add some contrast, fix the white balance, adjust color saturation, brightness, highlights, shadows, etc. and it will look many times nicer.

Of course all this takes lots of practice too. Keep it up!

Lance.

edited to add: I don't know what the coin looks like so maybe this "adjustment" below isn't accurate. But I think you might see what I mean above. You can't squeeze much from a jpg but if you shoot in the "raw" mode you can bring out all kinds of data that is really there but obscured (detail in dark shadows, for example).

5ae4385d.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I have the focus licked so I just need to get some lamps so I can stop standing on a step ladder in our panrty to take photos.

We need to see pictures of your photography setup. :grin: