• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS WHINES IN FULL PAGE COIN WORLD AD

21 posts in this topic

I know this story has been hashed to death but now they are really bringing out to the public.

HRH must really be pissed. He again states that respect must be earned not bought. Why the heck was he trying to buy it then? Then he says that the sticker on the holder is worthless. Why did he display it so prominately on PCGS holders?

I have a feeling this story is going to be played out all year.

Coin World dated April 12, 2004 page 61

I have not received my CoinWorld yet, so I have not seen the ad, but I think that this is getting to be just unbelievable. I can’t understand why PCGS is still bringing this issue up. If PCGS feels that the PNG endorsement is not such a big deal, why are they going on and on about it? IMO the more noise they make about it, the more creditably the PNG endorsement gets.

John

Are you serious? It's in Coin World? This is an April Fool's joke, right?

If you are serious, then David Hall needs to seek some professional help as he has sunk to a level so pathetically low that not even my awful opinion of him could conjure up him doing something as pathetic and stupid as this.

He again states that respect must be earned not bought.

So.........does David hall think he will regain PNG by earning it through the respect

he continues to display? The amazing thing, is the number of folks who worship this guy! How he baits collectors and dealers with the false sense that jackpot money can be made through his registry hype, false pop report and price guide and pop top slabs! The man is very paranoid!

Leo

This is no joke. I couldn't believe myself. I actually had to put the paper down and close my eyes thinking it was just a bad dream. I would have thought they could have put it behind them by now--just chalk it up to experience.

I really don't know who they are trying to fool with this respect can't be bought thing. I mean, they tried to buy it . Talk about biting the hand that feeds, they are going to drive every dealer away from them. Soon they will only be grading statehood quarters and TomB's favorite Sacs.

I think next week this will be the cover story in Coin World.

Saw your thread across the street, Dave. Seems as if they don't want to attach any significance to it for fear of retaliation by other members, or kill the mailman for delivering the mail.

There will always be some who will ignore the train or never see it bearing down on them even when its way too late to get out of the way. Even when the driver refuses to get off the tracks, they won't get out of the car. Very sad. confused-smiley-013.gif

but I think that this is getting to be just unbelievable.

Getting?

laughy.giflaughy.giflaughy.gif

If this is true, it's time once again to break out my favorite symbol for crying and whining:

2805.gif

jom

The problem for PCGS is that they first lost the ANA endorsement, and now they have lost the PNG support as well. A lot of beginning to intermediate collectors, who collect modern coins, don't know what the PNG is so I don’t fully understand what all the fuss is about. Most PNG dealers are not major players in the modern coin market.

When I first started to buy a larger number of expensive coins in the 1970s, I was impressed by Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG) membership because it seemed that most all of the honest dealers belonged to it. It appeared that the organization had a code of ethics that they enforced. Then as I got to more and more shows I started to meet and see some PNG members who were shall we say a bit removed from ethical practices. There are many great dealers in the PNG, but membership in it is not an iron-clad guarantee that a dealer is all that he or she is cracked up to be. In the end one must consider that the organization is a trade group with membership qualifications that make its members better than average, but not people who “walk on water.”

Given this I don’t know why David Hall is so upset. But if his protests continue at their present level for an extended period of time, he’s going to make the issue seem a lot more important than it is. Maybe Hall is concerned that his company is losing touch with the serious core collector market. But hey, they brought a lot of that upon themselves with their general attitude and level of service. And firing collector icon, Q. David Bowers, from their corporate organization didn't help their cause either.

Are you serious? It's in Coin World? This is an April Fool's joke, right?

If you are serious, then David Hall needs to seek some professional help as he has sunk to a level so pathetically low that not even my awful opinion of him could conjure up him doing something as pathetic and stupid as this.

This is a very sad development.

Mr Hall does seem to be loosing it.

It gives the appearance of desperation.

PCGS has a fine product.The only weak link in the process seems to be Mr Hall and his inability to Run the show.

We,In the hobby, need PCGS as well as NGC.

Yin and Yang popcorn.gif

I'm going to add this as a reply to my own previous post.

Could you imagine Warren Buffet , Donald Trump Or ANY successful CEO Or Even CFO acting in the manner of D.Hall.

It is as minor league as you can act.

And I personally don't recall any Minor League team winning the world series.

We,In the hobby, need PCGS as well as NGC

Yep. thumbsup2.gif

This is what I keep telling the "PCGS wiennies" (The "I won't buy anything but PCGS graded coins" people). If only ONE FIRM got control of the grading market, every collector and every small dealer would be the losers.

Isn't it interesting that we now see comments about the financial health and market share of PCGS. How times have changed. 893whatthe.gif

I bit my tongue yesterday waiting for someone to announce it was an April Fool's Day joke, I haven't seen it but if it's true, it was really a sad thing for DH to do.

DH needs an advisor, someone he will consult prior to opening up his trap. I actually feel sorry for some of the folks at PCGS because he's making them look really bad.

Dave

Just got my copy and it's there. Kind of pitiful, really. Sounds like it was ok for them to "buy the respect" but no one else can. I'm taking my ball and I'm going home.

I`ve read the article. It seems like alot of money to pay for something that the author considers to be without merit. Of course fear and envy played no roll in publishing this drivel. I for one have a great amount of respect for the A.N.A. of which I`m proud to say I`m a card carrying member. In my opinion they have done more to perpetuate the hobby of numismatics than anyone. The PNG as I understand is supposed to be a group of select dealers with above average ethics.

Professionals in the numismatic field. I`d have to give some creedence to the grading service they choose or choose not to endorse regardless of their compensations.

All things considered I really wouldn`t expect to see their endorsement labels appear some grading services slabs ever. Would you ? makepoint.gif

Well, we gotta face it. This is a MONEY game. And what is "money" the root of?

Seriously, PNG has a financial requirement. Big deal. So did I as a pawnbroker. Some PNG members are bad. Some are good.

Grading is big money. Grading saved the coin market in the early '80's by CHANGING and OBFUSCATING a .....real......honest to goodness coin CRASH!

They did it dishonestly but it passed the "press" test. No one outside of the coin bizz realized that the grading had not been standardized.....but CHANGED. And changed radically. *

I see posts across the street that are sorta warning me that "tighter" (read "different") standards ...what a corrupted word....are showing up in all the services. Which could signal a decline in prices that can be concealed with ..different...grade standards.

Whether this leads to a "new" stricter (read "undergraded") grading company remains to be seen. It could also lead to "new" holders and buyers wanting only ...NEW..... ones or they won't buy.

Gosh, another boon for the slabbers and a blow to collectors.

But in and out, this is a money game and the players have lots of chips on the table. Anything goes.

*If you want me to post what ACTUALLY happened when grading "saved" the coin market, just reply with a "yes" and I'll post it on a separate thread. Also appreciate whether you would want it in US coins or Coin Tangents.

*If you want me to post what ACTUALLY happened when grading "saved" the coin market, just reply with a "yes" and I'll post it on a separate thread. Also appreciate whether you would want it in US coins or Coin Tangents.

I'd like to hear your perspective, post it in the tangents section.