• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1916 Proof? Grade?

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I need some confirmation on a grade for this 1916 cent I have. is it a matte proof? grade?

It has a lot more luster than in the pic. _MG_1018.jpg_MG_1017.jpg_MG_1014.jpgIMG_0631.jpgIMG_0635.jpg

Not an MPL, at least as seen by the images. It looks like a well struck business strike, which is very common with the 1916. The rims do show some rounded areas which isn't the case with an MPL. The fields don't have the matte look of an authentic proof. They should looks like thousands of tiny cobblestones, as exhibited on the 1916 in Bobby's link.

BTW Bobby, thanks for linking that page. I had no idea my 1916 was gracing the page.

PCGS PR67BN

1916MPLcomp.jpg

The first thing that grabbed my eye was Lincoln's bowtie. It is not well defined on the OP's example. Second, the OP's coin definitely doesn't have a "matte" appearance to the surfaces. Bob, thanks for posting your gorgeous example!

thanks a lot guys, you've been a big help! I submitted it to NGC before you guys chimed in. maybe it'll get a high MS grade too. I also submitted a 1909 vdb with broader and flatter rims with it, cross your fingers! the results should be out soon!

You guys were right, not a proof! It came back UNC Details- ALTERED COLOR...

What did you find out about the 1909 VDB? Too bad about the 1916. Would have bee a cool pickup.

Not an MPL, at least as seen by the images. It looks like a well struck business strike, which is very common with the 1916. The rims do show some rounded areas which isn't the case with an MPL. The fields don't have the matte look of an authentic proof. They should looks like thousands of tiny cobblestones, as exhibited on the 1916 in Bobby's link.

BTW Bobby, thanks for linking that page. I had no idea my 1916 was gracing the page.

PCGS PR67BN

1916MPLcomp.jpg

way cool

that is sweet

soooooooooooo that is what they are suppose to look like....

I am not gonna open my penny album for a couple weeks now