• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this Jeff Please!

18 posts in this topic

I just bought this Jeff and was wondering something. This is graded PCGS PR67Cam in an OGH. It has some hazing going on. It also has some very nice toning going on under the haze that I wasn't able to capture as well as I wanted. My question is, would the haze effect the grade? I like the Jeff myself, and the haze is a tad distracting, but do you think it's too distracting? Thanks ya'll!

1956JeffPR67CAM.jpg

If you wanted to spend the $$ I bet NCS could diminish that haze. But they might also disturb the toneing. It's tough to tell from the pictures if if really takes away from the coins. From what I can see it's a beauty and might be well worth them at least taking a look at it to see what could be done, if anything.

Jim

Strangely enough, I have an early Walker that is CAC stickered for it's eye appeal in PCGS 64 and it has VERY similar hazing and BEAUTIFUL original toning from being stored for years in a Whitman folder. The hazing can be seen only when tilted and is a direct result of the spectacular toning. I love the Walker and am not considering trying to sell or replace it. I like your Jefferson, too! Some people find this tone to be more 'accepatble' on a old business strike rather than a DCAM proof. It's a matter of preference.

I'm a big fan of proofs with nice color and don't mind a bit of haze.

I'll bet when you tilt that coin to the light the color is really cool.

I don't have much luck catching that look with a camera.

I'm a big fan of proofs with nice color and don't mind a bit of haze.

I'll bet when you tilt that coin to the light the color is really cool.

I don't have much luck catching that look with a camera.

You are right Larry. It has some nice color to it. Hard to catch it thru the slab, for me anyway.

I agree with ya'll also. So do ya'll think the haze will spread or is it pretty much done what it's gonna do. I like the coin and am keeping it!

I agree with ya'll also. So do ya'll think the haze will spread or is it pretty much done what it's gonna do. I like the coin and am keeping it!

Maybe in another 55 years or so, if conditions are right, but not now. lol I wouldn't worry about that. :)

I am not a big fan of haze but like the coin.I would agree in leaving as is. I wonder what this coin would look like without the haze? Question? Is haze considered toning? I have some of my Russian Olympic proofs which are starting to blue haze on the outer areas. They are just in their original two piece holders which are not sealed. Does the blue haze at some point change to a more colorful tone or do they just stay blue?

Chet

Far from an expert, but not sure if this is haze or a bad rinse job of some sort. If this was my coin, I'd send it to PCGS under the Grade Guarantee and see what they have to say. I've used this service on more than one occasion with positive results. It's worth it just for the piece of mind. :)

Far from an expert, but not sure if this is haze or a bad rinse job of some sort. If this was my coin, I'd send it to PCGS under the Grade Guarantee and see what they have to say. I've used this service on more than one occasion with positive results. It's worth it just for the piece of mind. :)

I'm pretty sure it's haze Lee. With the coin in-hand, that's what it looks like. I have a few other misc coins that have developed a little haze and this jeff shows he same characteristics.

I'm pretty sure it's haze Lee. With the coin in-hand, that's what it looks like. I have a few other misc coins that have developed a little haze and this jeff shows he same characteristics.

You have the coin in hand so you know best. :)

I would interpret the images to be haze. Sometimes these coins are really nice while other times they unfortunately are not all that attractive. If it were my coin and I was concerned about it or unhappy with the eye appeal I would then sell the piece instead of messing with the coin.

As Tom and others point out, "hazing" on nickels can sometimes be VERY attractive. Here's a coin I suspect looks very similar to the one the OP posted, and how the coin's look changes significantly with a change in lighting angle:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

medium.jpgmedium.jpg