• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A reason to collect toned coins - anti-counterfeit measure ?

6 posts in this topic

Not sure who saw this thread ATS about the website DHGate.com in China selling counterfeit coins in counterfeit slabs with actual PCGS certification numbers that match the real deal.

Here's the thread .... http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=808427&STARTPAGE=1

Here's the DHGate.com -> http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/PCGS.html#search

Don Willis over at PCGS is now stating that not only do you need to match cert # but now you have to match photos to make sure you are buying the real coin and not a counterfeit.

I know that NGC also has a database of pics but here's the catch....

If you buy/sell blast white coins how could you really tell from a photograph especially if the seller isnt providing high res closeup shots ?

Im not bagging on blast white collectors - Im just thinking that at least having some "original skin" on the coin or a toning pattern would be that much harder to recreate with a counterfeit.

Is this killing potential Ebay sales or buys for people ?

Do you think its going to get out of hand and really hurt the market and future collectors ?

I have known for a while that original toning is kinda like a finger print as no two coins tone exactly alike...so I guess in a sense I agree with you but I think a lot of the folks buying counterfiets on Ebay have no clue they are doing so and may not find out for many years to come when their relative try to liquidate their collections so I don't know how much affect the counterfeit issue is having on the Ebay market. I would assume there is some impact at this point.....

It doesnt have to be limited to Ebay. I know for one I probably couldnt tell a fake PCGS slab from a real one. This could be happening on the bourse floor as well.

With all the different slab types how easy would it be to counterfeit the older slabs or a variety of them....

Who has the ability to check pictures on PCGS or NGC's website against the coin in hand ?

You would need a smart phone with internet access....

Anyone here develop Iphone or Andriod apps ? It would be great to have an app that allows you to take a photo of your potential buy with your phone and then the app would be able to log on to and search for the cert # coin in question from either PCGS or NGC and show the user a side by side comparison....

If you buy/sell blast white coins how could you really tell from a photograph especially if the seller isnt providing high res closeup shots ?

My best friend and I have been discussing this conundrum for quite a few years. Where it really gets dicey is in the realm of coins graded 68, 69 and 70. Imagine trying to compare a whole collection of blast-white ASEs, all in 70, to online digital images!

Does PCGS take pictures of all coins that they have graded? If so, then you would have to be able to access that data which I'll bet may not be accessible to just anyone. (shrug) Heck, thier price guide isn't even free to view anymore but maybe a couple coin searches!

My best friend and I have been discussing this conundrum for quite a few years. Where it really gets dicey is in the realm of coins graded 68, 69 and 70. Imagine trying to compare a whole collection of blast-white ASEs, all in 70, to online digital images!

Yes I never thought about it from a grading perspective... but the less marks the greater the risk. Almost makes collector coins MS60-64 less of a risk since there will be enough marks to be able to fingerprint the coin.