• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1919 Buffalo Nickel, I've shown this coin.......

16 posts in this topic

I've shown this coin to some collector/dealers that handle many high grade Buffs, they all say....WOW on this one. This coin exhibits an amazing strike, luster and the color is very eye appealing to say the least. It's in an older NGC slab with a numerical MS grade and no star. My question is, have you ever heard of a coin receiving a star the second time around? I will be resubmitting this coin and just wondering about this???

062-2.jpg

065.jpg

WOW !! if it doesn't get a * then they may as well not even have the designation at all...luster, color, strike--again, WOW!!

The numrical grade assigned to this coin is very upsetting to say the least!! I would tell you, but then you"ld be upset also, so I won't....

The numrical grade assigned to this coin is very upsetting to say the least!! I would tell you, but then you"ld be upset also, so I won't....

Anywhere from AU58 to AU62 would be my guess

I know its not a GTG, however I love a good test. I'm going to say 65, with the nick on the cheek and front leg keeping it from 66.

Maybe TDN is looking at some wear on the tail? judging from the overall conservation of the piece I'd venture a guess and say roll friction as the culprit.

I think the coin should get a star just on the quality of the luster!

I'm really enjoying you posts. keep'em coming.

No, the point of the hip

Meaning what, I ask?

Meaning it's flat on a well struck coin ... so my guess is the coin was held back in grade because of it.

But then again, I've often compared grading buffalo nickels to a monkey playing darts....so who knows.

Okay, I sure don't understand how some folks grade coins? Much more comes into play other than the strike, like luster which plays a heavy roll in grading. Eye appeal, this is a touchy subject with some folks, but it does play a roll in grading.

Now I'm not going to say grading Buffalo Nickels is an easy task, because it is not, it one of the toughest U.S, coins to grade, no question about that! But the more you handle these coins the better you get. Now as far as the strike on this piece goes, sometimes on Buffalo Nickels the spots on the coin you would look for rub, is also the last part of the coin to fill out when struck, it is the high points. Sometimes people will mistake this for rub, and sometimes is, and sometimes the coin just did not strike up so well. In this case the Hip point on this buff did not fill out, with this hold it back a bit? Not always, it really depends on the date. This is a high grade Buff . I don't very often reveal the grades of my coins as this is just an opinion of the grader or graders that assigned the grade. " It's an opinion " and a good one at that! But it's not always so. It is also an assurance this coin has not been messed with and is a genuine coin and that's the most important thing for me.......Joe.....Furthermore, this is a very nice, beautiful mint state Buff and it's no way a 62 or 63.....Just saying.....The grade is my business, unless I decide to sell....

No need to get touchy, Joe. We are just saying, the high points where you would normally look for rub have some obvious discoloration. We don't have it in hand, so we can't examine it. We are saying the discoloration in the pictures could be interpreted as rub. Obviously, many of us are aware that a less than perfect strike will not fill in the details as well. It could also be caused from contact with an envelope or surface where it toned, causing the toning on the high points to form differently. Again, without an in-hand observation, these are the sorts of subtleties that are impossible to tell from photos.