• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1955 Lincoln

9 posts in this topic

There is nothing off centered about that coin. It is a fairly worn penny struck from a very well worn die. The die erosion is evident throughout the coin. There is zero premium for it - that coin is worth approximately the 3 cents worth of copper that it contains.

Can you tell me how a worn die would make the lettering closer to the collar? I'm looking at my 55' and the "L" in liberty has a space from the collar and also the "IN" of In God We Trust, whereas this one seems to be butting up against the collar. Thanks!

Easy Bobby: Instead of picturing the coin, picture the die. The bridge between the L and the rim is a raised portion of the die. The erosion of metal moving across this narrow bridge will eventually wear it down, enlarging the L and causing it to merge with the rim. This is known as die deterioation doubling.