• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help...!

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have several questions about finding pricing info for coins ('slabbed' not raw). Is there a generally accepted FMV price guide for 'slabbed' coins? In comic collecting, we have GPA, a subscription service that is updated regularly and shows the value of slabbed comics in various grades. Is there anything similar for coins? Any other advice?

Thank you for your help!

I have several questions about finding pricing info for coins ('slabbed' not raw). Is there a generally accepted FMV price guide for 'slabbed' coins? In comic collecting, we have GPA, a subscription service that is updated regularly and shows the value of slabbed comics in various grades. Is there anything similar for coins? Any other advice?

Equivalent slabbed coins and raw coins have the same "FMV". If your real question is whether there is a price guide for ONLY certified coins, you might have to resort to the blue-sheet, which is for sight-unseen coins only. Greysheet doesn't differentiate between certified and non-certified; it is for PROPERLY graded coins, period.

What do you intend to use "FMV" for... buying? or selling?

I would NOT consider the PCGS price guide, or the Numismedia values as a pricing guide. The fact is, even the people who run those price guides don't consider those are guides even for themselves. If you were to send in a coin for appearance review and expect that they, the TPG, are going to pay you what their own price guide says as part of their guarantee, I'll say you'll be in for a shock.

If you look around, most will say that they feel comfortable paying anywhere between 50 and 75% of price guide to see what they will actually pay for a coin.

So, I wouldn't consider those a reliable source for pricing. Of course, there is also the exception to the rule. Coins that are exceptional for grade, or extreme rarities will blow away any price guide.

Teletrade, yea they're good, but they seem to be more of a wholesaler. Heritage is a very good source. If you go to a coin show, you'll see them bust out the Grey Sheet for just about anything they sell. And if you have one in hand it's a good weapon.

On another note, the link that Bobby (aka bosshog) provided a link to above.... those are supposed to be actual prices realized from auctions over the last 5 years? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As stated on the Price Guide page:

"Now you can enjoy free access to the most comprehensive and accurate US coin price guide. The rare coin values shown in the NGC Coin Price Guide are independently compiled and edited by NumisMedia based on real, documented market transactions. NumisMedia is the industry's most accurate, impartial report of US coin values."

So I take it there is no 'subscription like' service for coins and currency like GPA for graded comic books, correct? The problem I am having for coins is that even for slabbed coins prices are 'all over the place' and I never know what to buy at or offer. This has kept me away (among other issues) from coins for some time now. I do find auction archives helpful, but I wonder how many bids have been 'shilled?' This concerns me as well. It would be great if someone could put together a website that catered to the needs of collectors of slabbed coins and currency with updated price info much like GPA...

So I take it there is no 'subscription like' service for coins and currency like GPA for graded comic books, correct? The problem I am having for coins is that even for slabbed coins prices are 'all over the place' and I never know what to buy at or offer. This has kept me away (among other issues) from coins for some time now. I do find auction archives helpful, but I wonder how many bids have been 'shilled?' This concerns me as well. It would be great if someone could put together a website that catered to the needs of collectors of slabbed coins and currency with updated price info much like GPA...

You can always see if you can get a good photo, post it here and ask what the coin might be worth. Then when someone responds you can ask HOW they came to that price. That way you can learn yourself how to PRICE coins.

BTW, grading and pricing coins is NOT the same thing....something else you will eventually learn. Hopefully not he hard way. heh

jom

Thank you for your help. I am leaning toward using eBay completed auctions, Heritage archives, and the NGC price guide for getting close to accurate values. The Red Book seems out of date the minute it is published, but alas, it is a good starting point (IMHO). Thanks for everyone on this info!

Sincerely,

mintcollector