• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

common coin, unusual toning - buy OR TRADE

10 posts in this topic

Any interest out there in modern toners? On the 'Bay right now is an MS65 OBW-end-tone 2005-P bison nickel.

If the starting bid is too high for you, I consider trades. Perhaps you've got a coin to trade that's similarly common and cheap in gem grade, but exceptional in toning or variety.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200578260034&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I'll try to renew this thread whenever I've got another common coin, unusual toning.

Hey Thane, no dis-respect at all my friend but the Gold Toning on these are pretty normal and Numismedia value for this coin is $12.50. Just some info I thought I'd give. Good luck on your auction!

Point well taken on commonality and Numismedia pricing. Yes, the golden toning seems common enough, but what's tough (at least in my searches) is finding end-roll tones without scratches or machine marks.

I'd love to trade - most collectors are probably like me, where we value our stuff higher than anyone would ever pay ... so a trade seems likelier ...

Thanks for chiming in

Glad you said it first Bobby. I was trying to think of a nice way to say "The price on that coin is really really high and the gold toning is fairly common".

I think this is how we all gain knowledge Jason. I'm only happy that most people can take advice respectively without insult! (thumbs u

I have to question not only that coin but some of the other coins this person has listed on EBAY . I will admit I no little about modern coins and have no interest in them but $2585 for a 1973 MS 67 FS Jefferson and , $1685 for a 2010 D MS 68 FT dime seems rather lofty to me . Do you really think someone is going to payRetail PCGS Price guide prices for those coins ??

I have no problems with anyone pricing thier coins at any price they see fit. Eduacation was my only objective. Ya never know, his wife may have told him to sell them, he don't wanna, so he's attempting to grant her wish! lol

The Modern coin thing really does nothing for me.

I understand that the pop for a 2010 D dime with Full Torch currently is only two but considering how many of those dimes were minted it is only a matter of time before that pop report gets larger. I am sure there are plenty MS 68 coins out there in mint packages . It is just a matter of people taking the time and effort to find and submit them. I will take a heavily circulated 200 year old coin over a MS 67 or better modern coin every day .

Of my listings, some starting bids/BIN are the lowest you can find - an MS66 Bison 5c is a commodity, so I price it lower than the competition.

Unusual or hard-to-find coins, I price higher. Comparison sales in neighboring years are around $1000 for the 1973 5c, and the strike/pops in 1973 are even more rare. I agree, the 2010 D dime may not be pop 2 forever ... but it takes effort to find MS68FT, it's been a year, and no one else has done it yet.

Also, I *WILL* sell the 5c and 10c before summer, even if I don't like the price. If you want the coin but are offended by the BIN, make an offer just the same. And I've sat on them long enough, that I'd consider trade offers too. (Clearly, such an offer would have to come here or somewhere NOT on EBay har har.)

Glad I generated some discussion here. It is an education to see comments. I'm trying not to be the guy listing coins for 6x retail and getting ripped in forum after forum :-)