• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are some of the coins you've misplaced over the years?

15 posts in this topic

I know I have a scratched 1904 peso from the Philippines and a heavily corroded 189? Indian Head Cent somewhere in my house, but I haven't seen either in 5 years or so. As they are worth very little I haven't made any great effort to find them just yet, but I hope to use the peso as my next pocket piece after my 1936 Canada silver dollar wears down to fine or so.

Do you keep notes (mental or written) of coins you know you have somewhere but can't find? Any important ones that elude you?

I can not honestly say that I really loose coins but I do have several stashes of various non-slabbed and not valuable, common coins in various places through out the house. I can find any coin that I have but it may take me awhile to find and search all of the stashes and locate any partitcular coin.

All of my coins that are worth slabbing are kept in a safe.

I don't know how many times I have hidden a coin from myself. :insane: Going away for the weekend on short notice I find a coin or coins that were not returned to the SDB or safe and just put them in an inconspicuous place. Upon returning they may not cross my radar for awhile and then when I think of them..... I can't find them!!!! :shy: I now makes notes to myself to overcome my CRS :grin: The most significant coins that were gone 4-6 months were my Morgan dansco in 2008 and a 2008w plat set in 2009. Never again ( he says hopefully )

I had a 1913-D type 1 Buffalo in a box of coins at a Long Beach show once. Sometime after the show I notice it has been "misplaced". However, I'm not certain "misplaced" is the right word for it. hm

jom

I keep my collection very well organized. I don't understand how you could just loose a coin?

It's easy. All you have to do is buy coins in bulk lots and not put them in individual holders.

I have two listed in my database as missing. An 09 VDB cent and a seated dime.

Not worth much but it bugs me. I found a Lincoln on a shelf a while back. I have no clue where it came from. It was a $30 coin. I guess I'm ahead:)

I keep my collection very well organized. I don't understand how you could just loose a coin?

Some coins are small and can just sneak away lol

I lost a nice XF Hawaiian dime one time. I didn't find it untill about 4 years later!

I misplaced two of the 1999 silver proof sets that I never did find. My Mom and I were all set to leave for three weeks in Las Vegas when my order arrived from the Mint. I should have had the USPS just hold our mail while we were gone, but we had a trusted neighbor who would be gathering our mail while we were away.

I didn't have time to take the proof sets to the SDB, so I hid them somewhere in the house. When we returned from Vegas, I couldn't for the life of me remember where I had hidden them. You might think that it shouldn't be that difficult to find those bright red boxes hidden somewhere in the house, but you have to realize that we had 6,000 square feet of living space with all kinds of nooks & crannies, storage compartments, troughs for indirect lighting, etc. I even pulled the mattresses off of the beds and opened the two hideabeds that were in the house. I kept searching for seven years without any luck, and I would imagine that the new owner would be very pleased if they happened to find them.

Chris

Had a 1938 proof set disappear for about seven years, then one day it just showed up again. i'm not sure where one of my chain cents is at the moment. Last remember seeing it on the end table by my bed. It's probably underneath it someplace. Most likely got knocked off by the cat. (At least this one doesn't collect them.) I'll go search for it one of these days.

Unless your house burns down.

Well, that's another story altogether. How's the recovery coming?

It's going good. Thanks for asking!