• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-rated question! What is your opinion of / experience with "bawdy tokens"?

14 posts in this topic

Tom, I don't know whether that is the case, and should have specified that I am wondering about "vintage" pieces. I have a collection of some fifty pieces, and they (evidently) date from 1920s through the 1960s.

They may not be suitable for presentation on the NGC website, do others collect these?

I've seen numerous examples of these tokens, but I've never had an interest in them. I do have one French bronze medal that is about 50mm. On one side there is a very attractive woman, and on the other side is nothing but a telephone number. When I saw it on eBay, I thought to myself that this must be the most expensive "business" card I've ever seen. I just had to have it!

Chris

I've seen numerous examples of these tokens, but I've never had an interest in them. I do have one French bronze medal that is about 50mm in bronze. On one side there is a very attractive woman, and on the other side is nothing but a telephone number. When I saw it on eBay, I thought to myself that this must be the most expensive "business" card I've ever seen. I just had to have it!

Chris

What's the number?

NEEDLESS TO SAY, NSWF

I inherited three from my step-grandfather. Two are brass brothel fantasy tokens, "Good for one scr*w" Silver Dollar Hotel / "All-night $3 check". I also have an erotic token with Cancer the crab on one side and a depiction of a lady doing something naughty to a man on the other, with the word "Versatile"

http://www.exonumia.com/fakes/hor.htm

The reverse is on the top center of this image, but apparently, the die for that design has been used with other obverses (namely my crab obverse one):

Only click through if you're over 18, NSFW, yada yada. It's just a picture of some tokens, but it's naughty.

http://coinmine.com/inventory/tokens/images/scan0003%20(Small).jpg

I think these are interesting, but I have no plans to collect them.

I've seen numerous examples of these tokens, but I've never had an interest in them. I do have one French bronze medal that is about 50mm in bronze. On one side there is a very attractive woman, and on the other side is nothing but a telephone number. When I saw it on eBay, I thought to myself that this must be the most expensive "business" card I've ever seen. I just had to have it!

Chris

What's the number?

It's no longer in service.

Chris :devil:

I have sold a few over the years and find them an interesting piece of American history.

Don't expect NGC to create a Registry Set, though it would get a lot of looks...:grin:

The only legitimate US brothel tokens that I know of are tokens good for drinks in the brothels bar and they don't typically identify the bar as being part of a brothel. You have to know the history of the bar. There are no legitimate tokens good for the "services" of the ladies.

European brothels may be another matter.

The pictures of the tokens in Pendragons link are "peepshow" tokens and not brothel tokens.