• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new here

23 posts in this topic

Guess I posted in the wrong place the other day, so I'll try again here.

New here! Collected coins since 1961 (hence my user name.) Been a member "across the street" since 2002 but have become disillusioned with some of the "genuine" designations, especially "questionable color" and "altered surfaces" and I'm thinking of slabbing some stuff elsewhere (I joined the NGC Collector's society several months ago.) Was wondering how NGC views the slabbing of colorful but seemingly naturally toned items and maybe some comments from those who have suffered the same dilemma as I have. I might have several such coins to submit for slabbing.

My specialties are Buffalo nickels and doubled dies in all series. I've co-authored and authored two books on these subjects and contributed to many more.

Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

How many certified vs. un-certified coins do you own?

:hi:

Be careful, James likes it in the RAW lol

Martin

Welcome, if you posted in the Water Cooler they have no mercy on coinees there, it's like the lamb going to slaughter.

Anyway, there is also a Numismatic General section where discussions might not fit in directly with US Coins, so feel free to venture there for cornucopia.

Welcome, if you posted in the Water Cooler they have no mercy on coinees there, it's like the lamb going to slaughter.

Anyway, there is also a Numismatic General section where discussions might not fit in directly with US Coins, so feel free to venture there for cornucopia.

Yeah-I think I found that out.

Guess I posted in the wrong place the other day, so I'll try again here.

New here! Collected coins since 1961 (hence my user name.) Been a member "across the street" since 2002 but have become disillusioned with some of the "genuine" designations, especially "questionable color" and "altered surfaces" and I'm thinking of slabbing some stuff elsewhere (I joined the NGC Collector's society several months ago.) Was wondering how NGC views the slabbing of colorful but seemingly naturally toned items and maybe some comments from those who have suffered the same dilemma as I have. I might have several such coins to submit for slabbing.

My specialties are Buffalo nickels and doubled dies in all series. I've co-authored and authored two books on these subjects and contributed to many more.

...welcome to the forums! why not post some of your coins that you are

wondering about on questionable color? perhaps some here could give you their

opinion and help you decide whether or not to submit them. :popcorn:

Welcome to the neighborhood!

I'm anxious to see some of your toners.

Chris

My digital camera skills are worse than rudimentary! All I have is a scanner and those are not so great for color. My main concern is getting them slabbed. None are too wild but some show pretty intense color. All look like natural toning to me.

Welcome CQ. I have had issues with both sides of the street regarding toned copper, but do not have much toned silver in my collection. I will be submitting a couple of wash qtrs this year, so I will be getting an answer on those. I truly feel that both sides of the street are extremely harsh on copper, but then that's just my opinion. Good luck and hey I'm about as bad a photographer as you get, but if your camera has a macro mode, I feel sure you will be able to photo well enough to share with us.

Best of luck,

Jim

Welcome '61! Let us know how those buffs work out. I have a few in the raw I would like to submit. It seems that questionable color is a huge issue now.

Submission sent early last week. I'll let you know how I do.

You do know that you can track your order from the NGC Home Page, don't you?

http://www.ngccoin.com/index.aspx

Click on "Collectors Society" and scroll down to "Collector Order Tracking" and click on it.

When the page opens, you can insert your invoice number into the box. (You may have to sign in, first.)

Your submission will first show as "Received", then "Scheduled for Grading", then "Quality Control" and then "Finalized/Imaged/Shipped".

You won't see grades until the final stage, but during "Scheduled for Grading" and "Quality Control" you will see a list of the coins submitted. This is where it is important to check for accuracy to make sure there are no errors of data entry. If there are, you should call immediately to have corrections made BEFORE they are shipped.

Of course, if you already know this, this page will self-destruct in 10 seconds.

Chris