• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to grade?

16 posts in this topic

This was an NCS Conservation Showcase some time ago and is a beautiful coin. It has the cameo but doesn't show in the lighting. Anyone care to hazard a guess?

5194399-002oA.JPG

5194399-002rA.JPG

I plan on submitting to PCGS for crossover as I'm more of a PCGS guy but it currently resides in an NGC holder.

I'd say MS-64 because of the spots and the light marks in front of Roosevelt's ear and at the the bottom of the torch.

Personally I can't think of any good reason to send this to PCGS. You will probably be disappointed with the results.

It got SMS 67 w/o the cameo designation and that made me ask what they were smoking when they left off the desig. With the coin in hand it's obviously a cameo I just can't get a good picture of it.

It got SMS 67 w/o the cameo designation and that made me ask what they were smoking when they left off the desig. With the coin in hand it's obviously a cameo I just can't get a good picture of it.

It could be a "net grade up", then. In other words, they didn't want to stick their neck out on a very rare "cam", so instead, they gave you a couple of extra grading points as meager compensation.

In other words, maybe it's really a "65 cam" in a "67 non-cam" holder.

Cameo Proof: A proof coin that displays a frosted looking, milky-white surface to all, or most raised portions of the design. To qualify as a Cameo both the obverse and reverse must exhibit main devices which are clearly frosted and create a contrast between fields and devices. The majority of pre-1936 U.S. brilliant proof coins have Cameo devices. Cameo proofs for 1950 to 1970 are much rarer than non-cameos. PCGS designates cameo 1950 to 1970 proof coins as "CA".

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=22&universeid=313&type=1

Here's a link to pics of my SMS cameos at NGC.

And, a link to my registry set of SMS cameos at PCGS:

Take a look at those and see how they compare. The pictures are very much true to life.

And on another note, NGC has been extremely tough lately on cameos.

I had an extra 65 dime in cameo, but sold it last year, it was a 66 cameo, and I upgraded to 67 cameo.