• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question:

Are coins with altered dates and finishes counterfeit?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Are coins with altered dates and finishes counterfeit?

15 posts in this topic

If you were to take a genuinely issued coin and alter the date(to a more rarer or key date), and finish of that coin(from original luster to a modern matte or satin one), would that be considered counterfeiting?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the section of the US Code pertaining to counterfeiting includes the word "alters".......with the intent to defraud.

Chris

No, it's an altered coin. Selling it would be commiting fraud, not counterfeiting.

As for the portion of the US Code that deals with altering it is my understanding that it is in reference to raising a denomination--such as the so-called "Racketeering nickels"--rather than changing a date or mintmark.

I think the counterfeiting laws deal solely with the creation of a false coin/currency to be represented as genuine, not the alteration of a genuine coin. While both should be equally as illegal, I believe that altering a coin's date or mintmark would be fraud not counterfeiting.

JMO

Jim

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the section of the US Code pertaining to counterfeiting includes the word "alters".......with the intent to defraud.

Chris

TITLE 15 > CHAPTER 48 > § 2101

(b) Coins and other numismatic items

The manufacture in the United States, or the importation into the United States, for introduction into or distribution in commerce of any imitation numismatic item which is not plainly and permanently marked “copy”, is unlawful and is an unfair or deceptive act or practice in commerce under the Federal Trade Commission Act [15 U.S.C. 41 et seq.].

No, it's an altered coin. Selling it would be commiting fraud, not counterfeiting.

As for the portion of the US Code that deals with altering it is my understanding that it is in reference to raising a denomination--such as the so-called "Racketeering nickels"--rather than changing a date or mintmark.

So what do you think about the D. Carr 1964D Fantasy Peace?

image016.jpgimage017.jpg

It is not counterfeiting, though it is fraudulent. It is an "alteration" of an existing coin. I voted "no".

However, there are some that were struck on homemade planchets possibly.

Chris

The manufacture in the United States, or the importation into the United States, for introduction into or distribution in commerce of any imitation numismatic item which is not plainly and permanently marked “copy”, is unlawful and is an unfair or deceptive act or practice in commerce under the Federal Trade Commission Act [15 U.S.C. 41 et seq.].

Your quote has nothing to do with the US code dealing with counterfeiting. It is from the "Hobby Protection Act." which deals with protecting collectors of numismatic items from fraud rather than protecting the US money supply. That's why enforcement falls under the perview of the Trade Commission rather than the Treasury Department.

Chris

Your quote has nothing to do with the US code dealing with counterfeiting. It is from the "Hobby Protection Act." which deals with protecting collectors of numismatic items from fraud rather than protecting the US money supply. That's why enforcement falls under the perview of the Trade Commission rather than the Treasury Department.

However, this thread is about numismatic items and the poll question clearly states coins.

No, altering the date or finish of a genuine coin is not counterfeiting. Selling that altered coin as something other than the altered coin that it is would be fraud, but the section of the HPA that you quoted would still not apply

If you were to take a genuinely issued coin and alter the date(to a more rarer or key date), and finish of that coin(from original luster to a modern matte or satin one), would that be considered counterfeiting?

A classic example would be someone who takes a silver eagle, sandblasts it to create a matte surface, then alters the date to his grandmother's birthyear, which happens to be 1922 (key date for matte-proof dollars).

Is that coin now a counterfeit? Absolutely NOT in my opinion.

Is that fraud? Absolutely NOT in my opinion.

But, what if that person then advertises the coin on eBay as a "genuine matte proof dollar" hm ?