• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG - 1978 Valley Forge Bicentennial Silver Medal

19 posts in this topic

I submitted this at FUN for NCS conservation and grading, and it is on its way back to me now. It was submitted on January 9, recorded as received on January 12, and here it is February 9 and I will probably get it Thursday or Friday. That's not too bad in my book.

Anyway, I've posted my "Before" photos for you to tell me what you think it will grade. Have fun!

Chris

109162.jpg.7cb4f60547e9f447f9c8687fc15b3fe7.jpg

109163.jpg.fae348992e5f6a9df8e2727cac89d24f.jpg

It's a neat piece and it will be a nicer piece if NGC can get the haze off the mirrors. Looking forward to the after pics.

I won't be posting the "After" photos until I reveal the grade. It's your job to guesstimate the grade from these photos.

Chris

Well, I see what I believe are a couple of ticks on the obverse. Because of that, it wouldn't shock me to see it as a 64. If they aren't what I think they are I could see it as a 66. Also, it should be at least a cameo, but if the fields clean up nicely, I'll say it's an ultra cam.

So, I'll split the difference.... 65 UCAM.

Look, if you guys think just because I gave away a pretty nice prize for my 10,000th post contest that I'm going to give away something here...........

Okay! Okay! Whoever guesses the correct grade will receive an 1849 Double Eagle.

Chris

Look, if you guys think just because I gave away a pretty nice prize for my 10,000th post contest that I'm going to give away something here...........

Okay! Okay! Whoever guesses the correct grade will receive an 1849 Double Eagle.

Chris

I was watching a movie the other day. A group of people held the landscaper of a mansion and his family hostage. I believe it was the heirs of one of the bad guys. When they got the safe open, there was an old box that contained a half dozen or so 1845 or 1849 double eagles. I can't remember which one. I'm assuming the most valuable one? He tossed one of them to the landscaper for him to look at. He put his fingerprints all over it then, slid it across the table. :eek:

Chris

I was watching a movie the other day. A group of people held the landscaper of a mansion and his family hostage. I believe it was the heirs of one of the bad guys. When they got the safe open, there was an old box that contained a half dozen or so 1845 or 1849 double eagles. I can't remember which one. I'm assuming the most valuable one? He tossed one of them to the landscaper for him to look at. He put his fingerprints all over it then, slid it across the table. :eek:

The 1849 Double Eagle is a pattern coin. Only one exists, and it is in the Smithsonian Collection.

Chris

Chris

The 1849 Double Eagle is a pattern coin. Only one exists, and it is in the Smithsonian Collection.

Chris

Maybe it was 1845. They got blown up anyway,.

At the ANA show last year in Fort Worth, I saw the 1849 along with one of the 1913 Liberty Nickels. There was a whole bevy of other stuff as well. I took a lot of pictures and meant to do a show thread about it... but I forgot... I even met Charmy at that show!

Chris

Chris

Maybe it was 1845. They got blown up anyway,.

No double eagles were struck prior to 1849, but it wouldn't surprise me that they made this mistake. Has anyone ever accused a screenwriter of being a numismatist? On one episode of Las Vegas, one of the girls received a "rare" 1895 Morgan dollar that was supposedly worth $10K as her inheritance. At one point, Tom Selleck was holding it between his thumb and forefinger on the obverse/reverse.

Chris

Well, they were definately described as 1840's double eagle. Maybe original owner worked at the mint and arranged for some extra 49's.

Since i know what the grade is I will just say send me the gold. :devil:

I'll give you a special key to the Smithsonian, and you can go get it any time you wish. It's shaped like a crowbar.

Chris

Since i know what the grade is I will just say send me the gold. :devil:

I'll give you a special key to the Smithsonian, and you can go get it any time you wish. It's shaped like a crowbar.

Chris

:roflmao::hi:

Niceun Chris. (thumbs u

109.jpg109r.jpg

That coin would look amazing after conservation!

Well, I went to the PO to pick it up today. Unfortunately, I tried taking numerous photos, and they simply don't do it justice. I guess I'm going to have to find another area in the new residence to take photos.

Anyway, for those few who may be interested, it graded PF66 Ultra Cameo.

Chris