• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die rotation on proof coins.

7 posts in this topic

My roommate received some 70's & 80's proof sets from his 96 year-old mother. He had no use for them, so I bought them. I noticed that several of the Jefferson nickels had a rotated reverse. It's only about 10 degrees, and this is probably within the normal tolerance for business strikes, but is this common on proof coins of that era?

Thanks!

Chris

I've also heard that below 15 degrees is tolerable. Looking at my Jeff Dansco Chris, about all my proofs are rotated to some extent all the way thru the 80's and even into the 90's.

I posted this set in '08 some good responses. It was the half, not the Jeff.

Woody, thanks for bringing this forward. Did you ever submit that Kennedy for grading?

Chris

According to Alan Herbert, the Mint tolerance is 7 degrees for each die (14 degrees total), so anything under 15 degrees is acceptable. However, I was wondering if proof production might have stricter standards. Herbert doesn't address this, so I guess it is the same for proofs.

Chris

I posted this set in '08 some good responses. It was the half, not the Jeff.

Woody, thanks for bringing this forward. Did you ever submit that Kennedy for grading?

Chris

Nope, but I did write a note and stuck it in the OGP...if the opportunity arises, that don't happen to often anymore, it might, but I'm keeping an eye out (old pirate joke) for anything similar being sold that would warrant the expense to get it holdered.