• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please post a classic commemorative.

44 posts in this topic

My only classic commem

1926SESQUICENTENNIALSLAB.jpg

Is it just me, or is that coin as cool as the other side of the pillow?

I love when I get a chance to post a photo of my DuVall 3-D Lafayette Dollar.

LafayetteDollar1900PCGSMS65Duvall3-.jpg

The Monroe ... An interesting idea for a coin design; a bad bit of execution. This piece was distributed by the Hollywood film industry which is interesting. After the promoters sold as many of these as they could, they put the rest into circulation, which explains why the coin is so common in slider - Unc.

The film industry and Congress chose the Monroe Doctrine as the subject for this commemorative because they couldn’t think of any other 1823 event to commemorate for a 100th anniversary. The conventional numismatic wisdom is that Monroe half dollars are ugly, but I’ve handled a couple, including this one, that were decent. The trick is to find a nice MS-64. The coin is too pricey in MS-65 and above with very little, if any, improvement in appearance.

MonroeO.jpgMonroeR.jpg

The Connecticut is my favorite commem. Here are three in different grades with different looks. This issue is quite difficult to find with vivid green, red or orange hues, yet is common as all get out with brown. It is also common to find these dipped. Apparently, the original distribution of these was quite good with little or none of the greed associated with other classic commems, which has led to an absence of hoards of the issue. It has also led to few coins dumped into circulation so that circulated pieces are tough to find.

The first coin shown is an honest to goodness circulated EF with no hairlines and no evidence of having been intentionally worn down. The dirt really brings out the details of the coin. The second coin is in a PCGS MS64 holder and the toning is actually colored like honey instead of the brown speckles that one would expect to find. It has the eye appeal of a higher grade, but is accurately graded. The third coin is in a PCGS MS65 holder and I purchased this out of a Heritage auction. This coin is an example of Heritage doing the consignor no favors because they did not describe the vivid lime green toning along the rims, the orange and red toning scattered within the leaves or the great luster that is evident under the original patina. They simply listed it with mintage information and TPG population data. I had seen the coin in-hand and knew it was significantly nicer than the images suggested, which allowed me to obtain the coin with a bid essentially at Greysheet. This is one coin that I think would upgrade to MS66 upon a resubmission the very first time.

Raw EF-

TBR2I1935.jpg

PCGS MS64 Rattler-

TBR2I1935P64.jpg

PCGS MS65 OGH-

TBR2I1935P65.jpg

Back when I bought the MS-64 I showed earlier, MS-65 Monroe half dollars were bid a over $5,000. I paid almost $400 for that MS-64, and now it's down to $180 on the Gray Sheet. So much for great investments.

Most of the MS-65 graded Monroe haves I've seen were not as nice as the one you have, skyman.

A couple of mine that are interesting.

BTW with some deep dark toning, brown with underlying purple:

btwo.jpg

btwr.jpg

My Oregon with some very interesting toning on the high points in an old NGC fatty:

1926o.jpg

1926r.jpg