• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not really a guess the grade but.......

14 posts in this topic

Feel free to take a guess on the grade of this old Morgan. Maybe I should've put it in the Numismatics General section (or whatever it's called now) but the real reason I'm posting this is to compare some photos. Believe me, I know what some of you guys/gals probably think when you see my threads and photos. Believe me, I know some of my pics are tough to look at and I often cringe at the end results. I am definitely my own toughest critic and more often than not, my own worst enemy :)

Just know that I do try hard and hope to continually improve. I hope to one day make you guys proud and also make it easier for you all to guess the grades on the coins I post. But if you can believe it, I AM slowly improving. Here is the coin in question. It's a nice crusty 1892-o Morgan. I've included the original photo from my registry set (bottom photo with the white background) and a photo I just took minutes ago (black background). I know I still have a long way to go but IMHO I feel it's definitely an improvement

1892omorgan.jpg

1892omorganphotocomparison.jpg

sure its not bright and flashy, but there are very few contact marks, if any. I would not be surprised if it was an MS65+

Nice looking Morgan...But I would have to say MS60,just because of breast feather wear.

JMHO. Maybe it is just the angle that the pic was taken?

I would say the grade is in the MS-63 range. The breast feathers are weak because they were not struck up properly. That is a trait of a number of dates of New Orleans mint Morgan Dollars. There are some lines on the face, and given the weak strike on the center of the reverse, I think that MS-63 is about right.

BTW I think that your pictures are much better than average. (thumbs u

I would say the grade is in the MS-63 range. The breast feathers are weak because they were not struck up properly. That is a trait of a number of dates of New Orleans mint Morgan Dollars. There are some lines on the face, and given the weak strike on the center of the reverse, I think that MS-63 is about right.

I think that Bill is "right on" this one. :applause:

Thank you kind sir. It's just a bit intimidating at times with all the great photos that are posted on these boards. I just hope that one day I'll measure up! :)

I see nothing wrong with your pictures (they look quite good to me, actually!) That coin looks like it MAY be a SUPER-SLIDER (very close to MS). Although, I tend to agree with, Bill, though. If it is an MS piece, then it is def., at least, a MS 63. Morgans are the toughest series to tell an MS coin from a near mint ultra-AU piece, at least I think so. Nice coin regardless!

I say solid MS64, the weak strike above the ear and breast feathers is common for this coin. The only mark that distracts in my opinion is on the reverse the scratch from center coin to about 3 o'clock.

Thanks again for the guesses everyone. The coin is currently in a PCGS holder at MS64. I definitely see it in that 63 to 64 area and am happy with the overall appearance of it. I just go crazy for that crusty look

Thanks again for the guesses everyone. The coin is currently in a PCGS holder at MS64. I definitely see it in that 63 to 64 area and am happy with the overall appearance of it. I just go crazy for that crusty look

I feel the same way about such coins; your's is a beautifully original coin.

I have owned a few MS, 1892-O Morgans and yours looks like a very typical stike for an MS, 1892-O Morgan, plus the face has toning from the mint storage bagon the face and looks genuine. Congratulations, great looking pics and coin!

There are no large detracting marks on the coin and I would guess MS64 for this coin. Nice toning as well. A super coin.