• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG on my 1878-cc Morgan

18 posts in this topic

Greetings all. Since the weather was pretty nasty here in NYC yesterday and I didn't have anything better to do, I decided to image a few coins that I forgot about.

I'll start with this 78-cc Morgan. Other than cropping, no performance enhancing drugs were used lol.

The coin looks just about the same in hand perhaps with a bit more luster than the photo indicates.

So, what grade do you fine folks think this coin received?

001-horz.jpg

I'll guess that it's an MS65DMPL (a later die state specimen judging from the polishing lines) VAM-2A.

Chris

That was going to be my next question (directed at you of course) :)

I tried to get a close up on the mint mark, but I don't believe it would be that helpful in identifying the VAM. There is some doubling around "LIBERTY" but I'm not going to embarrass myself in attempting to image that

Here is my feeble photo of the CC mint mark

possibleVAM.jpg

I'll guess that it's an MS65DMPL (a later die state specimen judging from the polishing lines) VAM-2A.

Chris

That was going to be my next question (directed at you of course) :)

I tried to get a close up on the mint mark, but I don't believe it would be that helpful in identifying the VAM. There is some doubling around "LIBERTY" but I'm not going to embarrass myself in attempting to image that

Here is my feeble photo of the CC mint mark

possibleVAM.jpg

Try comparing to these......

108967.jpg.29cd7ce9ea87bfb6e2add4435cbd5408.jpg

108968.jpg.c139c5b53dd6b21a496f7944700f0a87.jpg

108969.jpg.e9a4c9db2dda953ffca5353fa60cd71a.jpg

108970.jpg.a266c15fc62ab9b1cdc4d7f9fb2c0088.jpg

I'll guess borderline 65PL. The gash on her cheek below her lip I don't think is enough to knock it to 64, given how nice the rest of the coin is. I also don't feel the mirrors on the obverse (at least in your picture) are nearly enough for DMPL, and I was honestly debating whether it was even PL or not.

Looks like pics are little subdued to me. I don't like the nics on the nose which are a little distracting but overall not a bad looking Morgan. It looks about MS64PL to me.

I'll say MS65 since I think it looks cleaner than my 64+, but can't tell if it has any PL surfaces by the pics. Nice coin regardless.

Well, The reason I posted this particular Morgan , was that I knew I would get a bunch of different guesses. First off, I would like to say that I think NGC accurately graded this one and completely nailed it. The coin certainly has PL qualities, (the reverse definitely more than the obverse) but not enough for it to be included on the label. Since it does have that PL quality, any nicks,ticks,chatter etc seem to be a bit exaggerated under certain lighting. It does have tremendous eye appeal in hand (IMHO) and although I'm sure I'm going to upgrade this date/mm at some point, I'm very happy with owning this one in the meantime. And as always, thanks for your guesses. I appreciate ALL of your comments

005-1.jpg

65PL. Vam 2A at a die stage where only one C is filled.

Chet

Chet, messydesk corrected me on this one. It's a VAM-20 with the gouges in her eye. I should have thought to check for it because I have two of them. Blind fool!

Chris