• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Like Nothing Else I Own: Ancient Roman Coin

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Last weekend I picked up something quite unusual for me, and ancient Roman coin:

434609-Roman.JPG

I'm blessed by having a fairly local coin shop with an active bid board allowing me to view lots of things each week both inside and outside of my usual Germanic collecting interests. Additionally, the shop owner takes the time to review all the lots offered and marks the bid cards of the ones he considers to be a good value with purple stars.

One of the catagories I always make a point to to view are the ancients as they appealed to my history buff side despite knowing very little about them. This coin appealed to me, seemed reasonably priced ($39) and indeed earned a purple star. I know, I know, buy the coin and not the purple star but sometimes you just have to follow your instincts. tongue.gif

Anyway, since my knowledge is so defficient on these I'll just quote the paper insert that came with the coin without vouching for its accuracy:

Rome Gordian III Choice AU

Silver Antoninianus AD 238-244

Obv: Radiate head of Gordian

Rev: Standing Jupiter holding thunderbolt + small figure of Gordium

If anyone can confirm or refute the above information, or provide just about any information relating to the coin, I'd appreciate it. I usually buy one coin book at each Long Beach show, perhaps the next time around it will one on ancients.

-JamminJ

Rome Gordian III Choice AU

Silver Antoninianus AD 238-244

Obv: Radiate head of Gordian

Rev: Standing Jupiter holding thunderbolt + small figure of Gordium

Confirmation thumbsup2.gif

Marcus Antonius Gordianus, grandson of Gordian I. Proclaimed Caesar during the reign of Balbinus and Pupienus. At their deaths proclaimed emperor by the Praetorian guard at the age of 14 or 15. He ruled for six years and was murdered at the age of 21. Philip I succeeded him to the throne.

BTW, an AU grade doesn't exist for this coin. Usually collectible grades are VF and New. In between grades are very subjective. Later Byzantine coins can grade more accurately since the minting processes were much better and wear was more defined.

Buy the book, "Handbook of Ancient Greek and Roman Coins" by Klawans, Whitman issue. Good for neophytes with history on each Roman ruler. $10.95

Here's a link to Gordian III

http://mihalkam.ancients.info/gordianiii.html

TRUTH

BTW, an AU grade doesn't exist for this coin. Usually collectible grades are VF and New. In between grades are very subjective. Later Byzantine coins can grade more accurately since the minting processes were much better and wear was more defined.

These aren't exactly up my alley, but when I examined the coin there didn't appear to be any wear on it. However, I've seen slabbed ancients that were graded VF and I thought were nice AUs, so my grading might be WAY off on these.

It's a very nice condition coin.

Good looking ancient JJ wink.gif

They're not my cup of tea either - but I've seen some really cool looking ones. But to be honest - they are among the easiest to counterfeit and get away with it.

If you have an interest in them - check out this web page of a friend of mine. If you so desire - you can contact him. This guy knows his stuff when it comes to these coins.

web page

BTW, an AU grade doesn't exist for this coin. Usually collectible grades are VF and New.

I was under the impression the usual grades were "As Struck" or "Almost as Struck."

Buy the book, "Handbook of Ancient Greek and Roman Coins" by Klawans, Whitman issue. Good for neophytes with history on each Roman ruler. $10.95

Should be fun, and I think I can squeeze $11 out of the budget immediately.

I've seen slabbed ancients that were graded VF and I thought were nice AUs, so my grading might be WAY off on these.

Same story with me, I've only seen a few slabbed ancients but have yet to determine a pattern to the slab grades.

But to be honest - they are among the easiest to counterfeit and get away with it.

I just "paid my money and took my chances" but that thought had crossed my mind. Maybe I'll bring it along to the next big coin show and show it to some poeple who might know.

Overall I'm very happy with the coin, lovely preservation and the really high relief just jumps out at you. I just hope it's real!

Thanks to all, and especially for the web links.

-JamminJ