• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PPIE 1915 STATE OF OREGAN

6 posts in this topic

I have just found my old coin collection and have found a few American coins in there one being the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition Coin with the state of Oregon seal on the other side. Can someone give me some history about this coin.

Thanks.

Some states issued medals in advance of the exposition as one means of raising funds for exhibition purposes, and they usually sold for $1.

This is the quote from the 2nd Edition of the Hibler/Kappen book on So-Called Dollars regarding the Oregon medal.......

Although it called to mind Parthenon of Greece, huge Oregon building, with its enormous fir log columns, was designed to make known fact that state had, within its borders, one fourth of all standing timber in U.S.

Obv. Edifice; below Oregon / State Building; above, around Panama Pacific International Exposition; below, around San Francisco, 1915; microscopic W. & H. Co. Newark N.J. between legend and beaded border at bottom.

Rev. Variation of State Seal, within circle; above, around State of Oregon; below, around * 1859 *; beaded border.

411. Bronze, 38mm.....................................R-3

411a. Silver-plated Bronze............................R-3

The SCD Price Guide lists HK-411 in circulated condition at $25-$50; in Mint State at $50-$150; HK-411a in Mint State at $50-$150.

Chris

Thanks for the quick response. looking at the coin there is another date on it of 1859.

That's the year Oregon became a state.

Chris