• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1833 Large Cent with Corrosion

6 posts in this topic

I don't get coins graded so maybe others will chime in that do. My personal opinion would be that depending on the severity of it, would be bodybagged for environmental damage. You may be able to post a picture of it and us the "Ask "NCS" forum and see if they can tell you if the can conserve it for you. It may not be worth the cost either if it isn't at least AU50 or above. JMO

put it in acetone overnight and make sure it is covered airtight

take it out rince off with water and take a rose thorn and try to dislodge it yourself carefully any left over green stuff that is

good luck

Hey, what's up guys. has the coin been "dug" ?? If so, you might have to check with one of those basement grading services, then again is it worth it? Can you post a picture? That might help. The other thing is if it's got corrosion and based on the Red Book value, it's not an expensive coin. Does it have errors? Personally, I would only send a coin that's worth at least $100 and no corrosion. I learned that when I sent this

html>

Are you serious! Acetone will destroy it. Best thing to do if anything is open a fresh Coke, add some in a pill bottle and drop the coin at an angle overnight , check it in the morning, take it out and use a TOOTH PICK ( soaked somewhat) and scrape it at a low angle taking layers off til it's level with the rest of the coin. Why? Otherwise you will be left with a missing layer. Believe me, 10 years of Metal Detecting has made be do well at removing patina. Only take as little as possible easily. Either that or follow expert advice and do nothing.

I'd like to see a pic first though. Can you do that? It's a $20 plus coin depending on the grade, I really need to see it.

Acetone will work great with silver and clad coins. Not sure about copper but acetone is merely a rinse. Acetone is great for removing tape residue and oils and such from coins. I've never seen it damage any coins by far. Corrosion is very hard to remove from copper and usually takes time. It's best if left for a lengthy amount of time in olive oil and then picked off with a toothpick. If the corrosion has already eaten into the coin, then it's really useless as not much can help that.