• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So-Called Dollars

14 posts in this topic

Anyone collect these? Hows the Market? I was born in Wisconsin so when I found this piece I had to have it. I've had it since 2006 I think. The dies were pretty worn out by the time this piece was done.

Img19037.jpg

Img19038.jpg

Img19045.jpg

Img19046.jpg

Quote from Hibler & Kappen:

Medal commemorates 100th anniversary as territory, not statehood, wisconsin having been admitted to the Union May 29, 1848. Legislature created Wisconsin Centennial Inc. 1933 with $500 appropriation, later increased. Celebration was state wide, highlight being presentation of pageant, "Centennial Cavalcade of Wisconsin," in the stadium of University of Wisconsin, Madison, June 27-July 5, 1936; "witnessed by at least 75,000 spectators."

This was official medal, sponsored and designed by Commission, 1500 pieces struck in Bronze, sold for $1.

Obv. Capital building, clouds behind; at base on small ribbon 1936; smaller ediface to L; at base, on small ribbon 1836; avove all, around Wisconsin Territorial Centennial; below all is prone animal (badger?) on dotted line.

Rev. Eagle in upper center panel; to L 19/ June / 27, to r. 36/ July/ 5' above at border Madison' below panel Official/Wisconsin/Centennial/Celebration; stars all around at border.

HK-696. Bronze Size 24. Very scarce.

Lee, there are only certain SCD's that I have in my collection, so I don't follow the market closely. The 2nd Edition (2008) of the SCD book comes with a price guide, and though you can't really depend on it, the HK-696 is listed in MS as $20-$150.

Chris

Cool medal. How is it decided if a medal is to be called a So-Called Dollar?

I don't follow the values but a few years back, these were really hot. Lots of threads and images with folks paying some crazy prices. There were some threads a while back saying the prices had fell.

Cool medal. How is it decided if a medal is to be called a So-Called Dollar?

I don't follow the values but a few years back, these were really hot. Lots of threads and images with folks paying some crazy prices. There were some threads a while back saying the prices had fell.

Larry,

In the Introduction of the First Edition, 1963, Hibler & Kappen wrote........

"For the last eighty-five years or more, coin collectors and dealers alike have used the term "so-called dollars" to designate medals of near-dollar size, at first of a commemorative or exposition nature, later of a monetary kind. Extension of the term now includes certain kindred peices not otherwise classified specifically."

They go on to add............

".......it was necessary to establish the following specific limitations in order to contain our efforts within a manageable perimeter:

1. United States only.

2. Minimum diameter - Size 21 (1-5/16 in. or 33 mm).

3. Maximum diameter - Size 28 (1-3/4 in. or 45 mm); but silver Bryan Dollars are listed.

4. No holed or looped material unless struck plain also. Our Nos. 1 through 3 are the sole exceptions.

5. No plastic, fiber or similar material unless issued also in one or more metals.

6. No purely presidential or political medals.

7. No school, college or athletic medals; no coin club or U. S. Armed Forces medals.

8. No calendar or store cards; no trade tokens or emergency money."

Chris

I recently sold off all or nearly all of my US Centennial Exhibition SCDs. I tend now to collect just New England themes on SCDs, like the Pilgrim SCDs.

My favorites are the Pony Express.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I need to dig out what I have and buy the book.

Make sure you get the 2nd Edition which was published in 2008. There are new additions (but none later than 1960) and it includes the Price Guide I mentioned.

It's published by:

The Coin & Currency Institute, Inc.

P.O. Box 1057

Clifton, NJ 07104

(973) 471-1441

E-mail: mail@coin-currency.com

Hah???

This anti-Bryan piece from the 1900 campaign and its 1896 counterparts are listed as so-called dollars ...

Bryan1900S-10O.jpgBryan1900S-10R.jpg

1896 example BryanDolComO.jpgBryanDolComRa.jpg

Hah???

This anti-Bryan piece from the 1900 campaign and its 1896 counterparts are listed as so-called dollars ...

No mistake! See Rule #3.

Chris

Cool stuff so far!

(thumbs u

Has anyone else found an example in original packaging or am I unique? ;)

Hah???

No mistake! See Rule #3.

Chris

Rule numbers three and six are contradictory.

Hah???

No mistake! See Rule #3.

Chris

Rule numbers three and six are contradictory.

No, they are not. Rule #3 refers primarily to size, but an exception is made for the Bryan dollars which would, naturally, extend to Rule #6 as well.

Chris