• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought NGC didn't grade MS60 coins with Stars? Here's one on eBay

21 posts in this topic

Just looking at the pops for Early Halves 1794-1839 there are 2 with VF grades and one at a 40. By checking other denominations I'm sure you'll find a bunch pre-MS star coins.

I'm not so much thinking of circulated coins. The STAR makes sense as we've all seen some super killer coins in those higher circulated grades that definitely deserve the STAR, but an MS60? By default isn't an MS60 too banged up to have a premium in eye appeal?

I'm not so much thinking of circulated coins. The STAR makes sense as we've all seen some super killer coins in those higher circulated grades that definitely deserve the STAR, but an MS60? By default isn't an MS60 too banged up to have a premium in eye appeal?
Pat, I don't know about you, but I think the MS60 example that you linked has exceptional eye-appeal, regardless of however banged up it might be.

Yes,

I saw it too and thought the same. Prior to 2008 the lowest grade given a star was MS62 I'm pretty sure.

MS63 was the cut back then...I know as I had a stunning undergraded rainbow Morgan that was a MS62, I resubmitted becuase I really felt it was a 63 and it came back MS63* (thumbs u

I'm wondering why the coins reverse is displayed in the position usually used for the Obverse.
That can be done at the request of the submitter. While I can understand why submitters do that for certain coins, I don't like it. As soon as I see a coin with the reverse facing up, like that, I start preparing myself for the almost-inevitable, less desirable, other side of the coin.

Yes,

I saw it too and thought the same. Prior to 2008 the lowest grade given a star was MS62 I'm pretty sure.

MS63 was the cut back then...I know as I had a stunning undergraded rainbow Morgan that was a MS62, I resubmitted becuase I really felt it was a 63 and it came back MS63* (thumbs u

After looking at Conder101's thread on NGC slab generations I believe this is a NGC 9. If so it was used from September 2001 until July 2003

img3466u.jpgimg3470wz.jpg

As soon as I see a coin with the reverse facing up, like that, I start preparing myself for the almost-inevitable, less desirable, other side of the coin.

That's funny. Every time I look at a coin in a case at a show and I like the toning I always prepare myself for the inevitable disappointment when I turn the coin over...regardless of how the coin is placed in the holder or how it is situated in the dealer's case. :o

jom